What did I do wrong?(paint problem)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gonzowerke

What did I do wrong?(paint problem)

Post by Gonzowerke »

I spoke too soon in another post about having no problems.

I went to lay down my first layer of panelling today, before heading out to work. When I peeled up the Latex, the paint came with it. Where the paint stayed, it had my brushmarks from the Latex in it. I went to the saucers, that I have not latexed yet, and I can rub the paint off with my thumb.
I washed and dried the parts with a good soap and warm water before
spraying on my Silver basecoat. I let the basecoat dry for 4 days before latexing. The saucer's have had even longer to dry.
Should I have used primer? I've never had this problem before.

Thanks,

Gonzo
"What's Gonzo like? He's like Einstein, only evil!"
-Chris Palmer

"I don't like this ship! It's not fun!"
- Me, on the STVI enterprise kit
Griffworks

Post by Griffworks »

Always use primer on a model.

Always.

That's what it sounds like your problem is. Strip it and start all over again.

CAVEAT EMPTOR! BUYER BEWARE!

It’s advised that you thoroughly research those from whom you plan to purchase from Garage Kit Manufacturers that you don’t know! Especially those who already have a reputation! Ask me about my experiences with sithlordyoda / Colonial Fleet Shipyards!

My Albums on Flickr
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Moving this to finishing...
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Is this resin or styrene? I always use commercial mold release remover on resin. Those kits always seem to have more or stronger mold release agents on them.

-S
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

I've found that many metallic paints have more serious adherance problems than do normal paints. Always prime when using metallics.

P@T
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Always prime with metallics. And always overcoat with a GLOSSY clearcoat when doing lots of masing. Even a fine layer can help protect.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

Always.

That's what it sounds like your problem is. Strip it and start all over again.

Always prime with metallics.
AND dont forget, Prime your model.. :D
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
Gonzowerke

Post by Gonzowerke »

So let me get this straight.....

I should always prime my models? :D

I have never had a problem like this before. But I guess the large surface area of the 1/350 PL NX-01 brought it out. How long should I let Testor's spray enamel dry before I Future it? A week? Longer? AAARRGGHHH, I want instant gratification and can't have it!!!

Thanks for all the help!

Gonzo out.
"What's Gonzo like? He's like Einstein, only evil!"
-Chris Palmer

"I don't like this ship! It's not fun!"
- Me, on the STVI enterprise kit
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Gonzowerke wrote: I want instant gratification and can't have it!!!
That's the only part of this hobby that I don't like. When I'm really rolling, I hate to have to wait for paint to fully cure. That's why I usually have a couple kits going at once.

-S
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Another issue might be with your masking. Are you using the white liquid latex like you'd use for making molds? That has ammonia in it as the solvent, which would attack some kinds of paint - acrylics especially.

Just a thought. Personally, I almost never use a liquid mask on most paints due to the fact that they can leave marks on the paint when removed. Tapes, Parafilm, metal foil and regular masking solution if I need to just seal a little hole in the masking.

Another handy tip - never use clingfilm plastic films on metal finishes! Made that mistake once on a P-51, and had to strip and re-do the paint. The softeners in the plastic damaged the surface of the paint.

Kev
durendal

Post by durendal »

As I understand it, primer is used to make the paint stick. So it is always necessary to prime before painting.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

durendal wrote:As I understand it, primer is used to make the paint stick. So it is always necessary to prime before painting.

Nope.
I've got a cabinet full of models which say you're wrong. Some of them are pretty good, too.

CLEAN is the key - acrylics, espescially require clean plastic before painting.
Resin, though, I do prime first. Metal, too.

Terry Miesle
durendal

Post by durendal »

TER-OR wrote:
durendal wrote:As I understand it, primer is used to make the paint stick. So it is always necessary to prime before painting.

Nope.
I've got a cabinet full of models which say you're wrong. Some of them are pretty good, too.

CLEAN is the key - acrylics, espescially require clean plastic before painting.
Resin, though, I do prime first. Metal, too.
Ah, I see. Well, I guess it depends on the model your assembling and the paints your using. I've had many experience with enamel and acrylic paints, and they just don't stick too good without primer. You can easily scratch the paint off without primer.
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

A fine coat of Future makes the layer of acrylic much more resiliant. I wont' use masking tape until I overcoat. You're right about that - even with primer sometimes...

Terry Miesle