White Paint- Stop from yellowing?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jimboh1

White Paint- Stop from yellowing?

Post by jimboh1 »

Can anyone suggest how I can stop white spraypaint from yellowing? I've done a few kits w/ white spraypaint over the years, and they always seem to end up yellowing to some extent.

Besides the obvious 'keep it out of direct sunlight' can anyone offer any other suggestions how to delay/ stop the yellowing?

better quality spraypaint? Grey primer underneath?

Any advice/ suggestions appreciated!

Jim
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

jimboh,

you're right about the grey primer underneath, and the sunlight. I would also suggest sticking to acrylics for white. This is purely anectdotal, but I've never seen acrylics yellow. I don't think the pigments in the solvent-based stuff like UV B.

Also, add just a tinge of blue to your white. I mean, not even an entire drop to your mixing palette or airbrush jar. Seriously. :)

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

3 words.. "Shift to Acrylics". Avoid the Heartache.
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

I have seen acrylics yellow quickly too. Tamiya lasts the longest but if you want a white that will stay wihite for a good while try automotive paints. I made a 1/8 scale camaro and used auto paint on it. The thing is still as brilliant today as it was 2 years ago when i first painted it. I will have to give it a wash and wax when i get home though :D
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Interesting point regarding auto paints. My 1:1 scale Intrigue in Bright White is still pure white after 6 years. And it's sat in the sun in Texas, Arizona and Utah (the worst, at close to 1 mile elevation the sun's really frackin intense). It is clear coated, don't know if that makes a difference.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
jimboh1

Post by jimboh1 »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experience!

Jim
Jim HANDS
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I've yyet to see flat white turn yellow, every time I use a gloss white it has a yellow tinge tto it even MMs acrilycgloss white, even clear gloss will develop a yellow tinge, so you might want to airbrush smoe future floor polish over the flat white to make it gloss.
Normal?? What is normal??
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

There is the trick of adding just a touch of blue to the white to counter the yellowing. I almost never paint pure white, either, as it just looks bad. I usually add just a bit of light gray for a scale effect.

Sometimes it's not the paint but the clearcoat which yellows. This is frequently the case with lacquer coats. I have some older planes which have yellowed, but since switching to acrylics I haven't seen the problem.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Oil based paints like enamels have a tendency to yellow with age. Lacquer based car paints however are formulated so they generally don't for obvious reasons. Red and blue pigments in car paint might fade over the years but the carrier lacquer doesn't yellow.