Wing Fuselage Construction Help

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

whitfield

Wing Fuselage Construction Help

Post by whitfield »

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a model where I have to adhere the wings to the fuselage of the aircraft (it's a resin model). The wings also need to be connected at a slight angle...Soooo, I was wondering what advice you guys have on connecting the wings to the body of the aircraft?

Also, I was wondering what suggestions anyone might have in CA glue---as the brand that I'm currently using dries within about a second or to (two quick for any adjustments I would need to make to the wings)...I've heard that "gel" based CA glues bond more slowly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Do the wings have a root that goes into the fuaelage? If so thats a big help, I'v never had a resin kit but have you thought about epoxy?
Normal?? What is normal??
woozle

Post by woozle »

Besides super-gluing tabs into slots, a couple options are to drill holes in the wings and through the body and put a coat hanger through it. Another option is to saw the bottom of the body open, to glue or pin some bracing across the bottom of the wings, then glue the body back together.
"A Good Magician never reveals how a trick is done.... and an EVIL magician never leaves any evidance that there was a trick in the first place!"
-Kaja Phoglio
Girl Genius (advanced class)
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Gelled CA works well for this, and pinning the wings on as Woozle suggests is a good idea. To maintain the correct dihedral, (the wing angle) as the glue sets, you can build a simple jig out of cardboard or foam. When you've got everything lined up, and the glue is in place, hit it with some accelerator before it decides to move unexpectedly on you.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

woozle wrote:... drill holes in the wings and through the body and put a coat hanger through it. .
Paper clips also work well if the parts are too small for coat hangers.

-S
whitfield

Post by whitfield »

Actually, there aren't any "root" areas on the fuselage to attach the wings---Soo I'm assuming this is going to be something I'll have to do by eye balling it---Fortunately the model is small (1/48), but I thought about attaching the wings with tape (making the necessary adjustments) and then gluing the wings once I have an exact them in the exact position. If anyone has a better idea please let me know...

As for what kinds of glue to use---I've heard of gelled CA glue (never used them before)---I've read that Zap a Gap is a "medium" drying glue...And if anyone knows of specific glues to use in this instance (medium to slow drying time---enough time to make some minor adjustments on parts) that would be great....Thanks for the suggestions!
whitfield

Post by whitfield »

crud...I missed the suggestion about the "jig"---I'll give that a try first
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

A jig is the best option - even if it's just an angle guide taped in place while the glue sets. superglue can hold temporarily and epoxy used to make the joint solid and durable.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati