Powder coating

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kovertops

Powder coating

Post by kovertops »

I found this, and thought it may be news to some of us, as it was to me.

http://itotd.com/articles/300/
I dreamed of a dusty place, with a broken-nosed cat and some half-buried d-8s. Shirley McClaine was pretending to be there...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Powder Coating is amazing stuff. Depending on what you want you can get a finish that will bounce rocks wihtout chiping.
Abolish Alliteration
kovertops

Post by kovertops »

I just read that one thing this morning, but it sounds affordable/doable. Does it potentially strengthen the plastic?
I dreamed of a dusty place, with a broken-nosed cat and some half-buried d-8s. Shirley McClaine was pretending to be there...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It could. Don't know a lot about the plastic version, all I've ever worked with is the high-temp metal stuff. You also got to realise that in some industries "plastic" includes those resin lawn lawn chairs.
Abolish Alliteration
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

As interesting as it sounds, what what I understand from our GE rep. it's not really there yet. You want a cool finish. take a look at a PVD nickle finish with hand brushing. All of the brushed metal faucets you see now have this technique. On Plastic!
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Don't know if any of you've seen powder coating but I have when I lived around the corner from a bycicle shop and this one guy who raced for the place had a bike frame powder coated,it look like it had been spray painted with a thick coat of paint,UGH!
Normal?? What is normal??
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

irishtrek wrote:Don't know if any of you've seen powder coating but I have when I lived around the corner from a bycicle shop and this one guy who raced for the place had a bike frame powder coated,it look like it had been spray painted with a thick coat of paint,UGH!
That's an example of a poorly done coating. I've seen spoked motorcycle wheels done with powder-coat and they look beautiful.

Saw an example on Discovery Channel about a car prototyping company in California that can simulate chrome on just about anything. Spray it on and then quickly dry it off. Looks perfect. They were doing it to thin guage vacc-formed plastic.
Abolish Alliteration