Stripping acrylic paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Stripping acrylic paint

Post by starmanmm »

Just started using an airbush and messed up my styrene kit with a very lousy paint job. Got runs and orange peel effect, so I have to strip this kit and start again. :(

The paint is Poly scale.

Now to take the paint off, will castro super clean work or do you recommend something else?
[][][]

Post by [][][] »

Yeah, those should work, Castrol has been mentioned in every thread about strippin acryl in CoM, (I dont use acrylics so I cant confirm), but I can tell you it works well on enamels (I paint using them). Theres a thread specifically about Castrol and it's magic cleaning properties right here. A simple search would have yeilded that though...Good luck with the stripping! :wink:
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Denatured alcohol will remove most dried/cured acrylic paints - Tamiya and Gunze almost right away, Polly S and Acryl a bit more slowly, but they'll eventually come off. It'll also remove the above paints quickly if the paint has not yet cured.
DarKev

Re: Stripping acrylic paint

Post by DarKev »

Hello Starmanmm:

Try "Strip a Kit", its probably the best paint stripper I have ever used. I'm about to send in an order for two more bottles. Take a look at this link; http://www.hangar3.com/sak.htm

Good Luck

DarKev
starmanmm wrote:Just started using an airbush and messed up my styrene kit with a very lousy paint job. Got runs and orange peel effect, so I have to strip this kit and start again. :(

The paint is Poly scale.

Now to take the paint off, will castro super clean work or do you recommend something else?
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Thanks for the ideas!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If it's just acrylic paint, try Windex (with ammonia) first.
It will be the easiest to rinse clean.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

TER-OR wrote:If it's just acrylic paint, try Windex (with ammonia) first.
It will be the easiest to rinse clean.
Except that cured Acryl (and probably Polly Scale) just laugh at Windex. It works well on Tamiya/Gunze and other older acrylics, though.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

If i go with that (windex) do I let it soak overnight?
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

starmanmm wrote:If i go with that (windex) do I let it soak overnight?
You can try it - if it's going to work at all, the Pollyscale will feel almost rubbery and will be easy to scratch off completely with a fingernail.

Another trick - after soaking the part, use an old toothbrush dipped in whatever soak worked (Windex, Castrol, Denatured Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Strip-A-Kit) and brush the paint away!
JTanczos

Post by JTanczos »

I have left modeling for many years because I lost my workspace and had no where to paint. I am starting to model again but not with Trek kits (yet). Those are still in the basement ready to go.....

I just purchased about 20 HO scale athearn shells from Ebay. As RR modelers might know Athearn stopped making parts so they are becomming scarce. They are all kinds of paint schemes so I wanted to come back here to look up paint strippers for models and see strip-a-kit. This stuff just kicks butt! I thought it was discontinued years ago because the website moved. My last order was in the later 90s. I love this stuff and am glad it is still around! Works like a charm and wont burn your nose off.

I highly recommend this stuff.

JT
Tayed-Gachi

Post by Tayed-Gachi »

Try Polly Scale Easy Lift Off