airbrushing with enamels?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

guartho

airbrushing with enamels?

Post by guartho »

Before long I'm going to have to do some airbrushing with my enamels. How much should I thin the paint, and what's the best way to clean/keep clean my air brush?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Enamels should be thinned to a milk like consistency. Different enamels behave in different ways, but it usually averages out to about 50/50, paint to thinner. Some colors, like primer and dark gloss colors need a little more. Others, like metallics, not so much. Testors buffable metallizers don't need any, they come pre-thinned.

Keeping your airbrush clean depends on which airbrush you own. Between shots it is usually ok to run some thinner through the brush into a paper towel until it runs clear. If it is a dual action, work the needle back and forth while you are doing this. When you are finished with a painting session, or if the airbrush starts to clog or spatter, you'll need to clean it more thoroughly. Refer to your airbrush manual for how to do this.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Some harsh solvents used with enamel paints, such as mineral spirits and lacquer thinner, can possibly damage the rubber seals and gaskets in an airbrush. While it's ok to paint with enamels, you don't want to expose your 'brush to the thinner any more than needed.

After I use these paints and clean my airbrush, I give it a good rinsing with plain water, then I blow air through it to make sure all traces of the paint thinners are gone.