Tamiyas

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Qrest Fourstar

Tamiyas

Post by Qrest Fourstar »

Ok, they get talked about all the time, and it apears as though I'm the only one that doesn't get along with them. Tamiya paints. Im reading all the reviews of Slave 1 and everyone uses Tamiyas. The issue of Tamiya model magazine that has the Slave 1 in it(of course uses Tamiyas, it's their mag) waethered with oils and shades of Tamiya clears. Ive been told to thin them with Alcohol. Ive also learned(by personal expireience) that alcohol will take that paint right off.

For those who use Tamiya's, WHAT do you do to spray them? mix ratio, PSI? all of that. Ive been working on turning a FM Slave 1 into Boba's using the colors and weathering techniques mentioned in these sources.
-Paul

"She may not look like much, But she's got it where It counts kid." -Han Solo
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I thin them about 50/50 with Tamiya thinner. I've tried cheapo brands and had nothing but heartache. The Testors will work in a pinch (get the huge bottle).

As for as PSI, I think I'm running about 30psi, medium tip in an Iwata Eclipse. Clean the brush by spraying cleaner though it for 30 to 60 seconds between colors. Deep clean it about once a month or when ever it starts to spatter.

I seal with either Future or Testor's flat.

For the record, Tamiya does seem to be more sensitive to what you use to thin them with. Don't have a whole lot of experience (anymore) with other brands. I only use them when Tamiya lets me down (and doesn't have the color I want).
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I thin mine with Windex and spray at around 15-20 psi through gravity feed Badger airbrushes. I'll use a little more Windex and a little lower pressure to get fine lines with a double action airbrush. I sometimes add a little Liquitex Slow-Dry to the mix.
Beacher

Post by Beacher »

I've thinned mine at 50% paint, 25% alcohol, 25% water. No worries.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Presumably the originals didn't use Tamiya paints so there must be a way of matching the finish without using Tamiya paint.