Painting 1/35 guns & rifles realistically

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nicholjm

Painting 1/35 guns & rifles realistically

Post by nicholjm »

What do yall use to paint 1/35 scale machineguns, rifles, pistols, grenades, etc? I've seen some people mention painting them flat black and then drybrushing steel. I can never seem to get a realistic metallic look to them.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I have recently come across a fast and easy way to paint real looking guns. I use a product called Gold Leaf and Metalic Powder Fine Aluminum #19.

Paint the metal parts flat black. Then dab just a wee bit of powder onto a fine semi-stiff brush (I use a WN Flat Series 236 #1) and gently work the flat across the raised edges. If it looks too bright rub off with some tissue or paper towel. The look is astounding and really brings out the details.
Last edited by Kylwell on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abolish Alliteration
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Oh and I forgot to add, wear a mask when working with the aluminum powder.
Abolish Alliteration
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Does the powder rub off easily, like if you handle it too much? That's something I've wondered about any kind of weathering with pastels or powders, won't that stuff rub off when you touch it? I like to pick my models up and turn them around and look at them. Sometimes I even make "swoosh" or "vroom" sounds...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It rubs off a bit. If need be you can get heavy handed with it and then seal it with some clear coat. The lighter bits will disapear a bit and it'll tone down the rest.

Been thinking about picking up thier gold & copper powder for alternative weathering.
Abolish Alliteration
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

I paint a basecoat of gunmetal, followed by a black wash or two and then drybrush with flat aluminum. I use aluminum as it is not as reflective as silver or steel.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I've seen kylwell's guns done up as he described, and I must say they are about as good as anything I've seen. But I wanted to mention that he did something else that I though looked even better: Instead of using a flat black base coat, kyl painted some of them a dark midnight blue, then added the aluminum powder. This had the effect of looking like blued gunmetal, very realistic.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

How about flat black then go over with a soft lead pencil, say a 4B. You can then buff with a cotton bud (Q Tip for the US Folks).

Gives a nice low sheen, plus gives a pretty metal looking finish.

The question then is to seal or not to seal and lose the variation in sheen.

But also consider using colour, not all weapons are natural metal these days.