removing old glue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

removing old glue

Post by starmanmm »

Got an old kit that has some pieces glued on wrong. Figure that it was glued on with regular model glue. What is the best way to remove the piece without damaging them?

I did a search and failed to find any listing in the archives on this subject (as strange as it may sound).
mechnut

Post by mechnut »

have you tried putting it in some hot soapy water over night. i did it with a starfury that i brought of ebay and it came apart.
THE MAN WHO TRIED HIS BEST AND FAILED IS SUPERIOR TO THE MAN WHO NEVER TRIED.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Never thought of doing that?

Tried using the back edge of a knive to scrape some of the glue away, hoping that it would loosen the piece, but no luck.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Depending on the glue, I've also heard putting it in the freezer overnight can do the trick.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

CAREFULLY applying turpentine along the seam works well. But, it can weaken the plastic so be very careful and gentle. If the plastic becomes weakened, it will return to normal as the turpentine evaporates. I would try to remove as much as possible by hand and careful cutting if the plastic is old and brittle.
MarkW

"If we lose the war in the air, we lose the war, and we lose it quickly."
--Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery

http://mysite.verizon.net/modelwerks/

RAAM FAQ:
http://mysite.verizon.net/modelwerks/ti ... index.html
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

The freezing idea someone told me about at a show. Figured on giving that a try first.
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

Another method, albeit a little less enviromentally and health friendly, is to drop the model in a bath of Caustic Soda, leave for a day or 2, rinse off and then you should be able to gently start pulling apart the model. The other beneficial (or detrimental) side effect is that it will also take off the paint as well !
Mack

Post by Mack »

Will freezing work for cyanoacrylates?
Mikeym_us

Post by Mikeym_us »

I don't know if freezing will work for CA glues but try soaking the parts in hot water like Bath water and it should come apart seeing as CA glues do not like heat.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Thanks, tried this and it worked. Only broke a few pegs off, but now I can redo that botched gundam and patlabor model.
PillCounterD

Post by PillCounterD »

Buzzbomb wrote:Another method, albeit a little less enviromentally and health friendly, is to drop the model in a bath of Caustic Soda, leave for a day or 2, rinse off and then you should be able to gently start pulling apart the model. The other beneficial (or detrimental) side effect is that it will also take off the paint as well !
Sorry to bring back an old tread, but will this do any damage to clear parts?