Waxing models???

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Marcal

Waxing models???

Post by Marcal »

I recently asked about washing and so on ( http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... hp?t=27213 ). One of the posted links explains that the panel lines (done with washing) are done after the nodel is waxed...

Do you all wax your models?? :?:

I´ve experienced that after airbrushing my models witha acryllics, the surface of the models looks (and is) porous... Is this waxing stuff to avoid this situation???. :?:

Even more: In the case that I can´t get modeling wax, what else could I use??? :?:

HEEELP !!! [-o<
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Do your panel lines with a gloss coat. What kind of gloss is up to you. I prefer to use acrylics, and work with gloss paints as much as possible. When applying a clear coat, I'll use Future acrylic polish.

The car guys use wax pretty extensively. Real wax - the pure carnuba stuff. Usually it's their final coat on the model, just like a real car. It's impressive and very shiny.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

TER-OR wrote:Do your panel lines with a gloss coat. What kind of gloss is up to you. I prefer to use acrylics, and work with gloss paints as much as possible. When applying a clear coat, I'll use Future acrylic polish.
...mmm! Do you mean to apply a gloss (clear?) coat only to the panel lines and afterwards do the washing??? :?: Or maybe apply a gloss (clear?) coat to all the model and then do the washing??? :idea:

My Got, why is so complicated??? :?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Marcal wrote:
TER-OR wrote:Do your panel lines with a gloss coat. What kind of gloss is up to you. I prefer to use acrylics, and work with gloss paints as much as possible. When applying a clear coat, I'll use Future acrylic polish.
...mmm! Do you mean to apply a gloss (clear?) coat only to the panel lines and afterwards do the washing??? :?: Or maybe apply a gloss (clear?) coat to all the model and then do the washing??? :idea:

My Got, why is so complicated??? :?
The reason you want a gloss coat before the wash is two-fold. First, you need to seal the model so the was doesn't soak into the color coat and "stain" it. Second, it needs to be glossy so that the wash can flow across it better.

As for how to do a wash, Terry and I worked out an excellent water-based method using pastel dust, water, and laundry detergent. Look in the washes thread in this forum for details.

I hope this helps. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Z0mBe wrote:
As for how to do a wash, Terry and I worked out an excellent water-based method using pastel dust, water, and laundry detergent. Look in the washes thread in this forum for details.

Kenny
I haven't tried it out but sounds really really really good trick !!! :bravo: Thank you very much... I read this pastel-wash thread weeks ago but since I didn't have any problem (I wasn't about to wash) I completly forgot it... #-o
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Marcal wrote:
Z0mBe wrote:

Kenny
I haven't tried it out but sounds really really really good trick !!! :bravo: Thank you very much... I read this pastel-wash thread weeks ago but since I didn't have any problem (I wasn't about to wash) I completly forgot it... #-o
Remember you can use the pastels dry, to rub them in, or wet (what I am referring to) as a wash. Basically, finely grind your pastels with the blunt end of a paint brush. Then, in a small (spoon-sized works well) container run some water, and then add just a single drop or two of laundry detergent. Stir well, but don't make suds.

Next, add the ground pastel dust to the water and detergent mixture, stir slowly. Make sure the pastels are COMPLETELY dissolved in the mixture. You can apply the was as usual with a brush.

Any excess wash, or mistakes, can be mopped up with a damp cotton swab when dry.

I hope this helps.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The finer the pigment, the better the panel line wash. You can also use watercolors instead of pastel.

I used to grind the pastel on sandpaper, but now took Kenny's method of lightly scraping into a cup to heart. It's much more convenient.

Also, I have a lot of pastels from my old art days, and can blend many colors.
Black is to be avoided. Darkened shades of your base color is what you're after - or adding some brown if you're after dirt.

And yes, I glosscoat my entire model several times during my typical painting.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Quintillus

Post by Quintillus »

For more than one should ever need to know on the subject, do a search through the Scale Auto Magazine forums.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

The car guys use wax pretty extensively. Real wax - the pure carnuba stuff. Usually it's their final coat on the model, just like a real car. It's impressive and very shiny.
Most of the carnauba waxes I've seen in hobby shops contain petroleum distillates and they will eat right through a layer of Future and even through many acrylic paints - Tamiya and Gunze for sure but probably not Acryl or Polly Scale. I don't want to try that experiment.