Where to purchase small acrylic balls

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hobbit 77

Where to purchase small acrylic balls

Post by Hobbit 77 »

Hi,
Does anybody know where I can get some small plastic balls? I know that Plastruct sells them but I just want to know if there are other companies that sell them. Looking for sizes that range from 15mm to 25mm in diameter.

Thanks,
Troll 7
Hobbit 77

Post by Hobbit 77 »

Thank you very much, Babaganoosh! These sights are great!
Thanks again!

Troll 7
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Foer the sizes you want, check out craft, bead, and dollar stores. And the jewelry rack at the thrift shop. Look for clunky plastic beads, hair ties, and stuff like that.
Hope this helps,
Andrew
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Here are some suggestions.

I went to Acadamy Sports and Outdoors and found interesting Ping-Pong balls and lightup Golf Balls.

Several Rows over were plastic cones that could be warheads--and wide disks that were stumpy cones with a hole up top as wide as that liquid air-freshener in the auto dept.. These safety disks are perfect large scale station lower saucer parts.

Lastly is a tube-shaped JT paintball SPEED POD (Slammer system)

These are paintball containers with an iris that opens up like the 2001 moonbase. It looks nice for a tanker starship hull or mega-nacelles for larger bulk carriers.

The blue plastic cones in some nebulizer breathers (the larger kinds) fit perfectly nect to the small globes in some movie theatres (where you roll a ball 'up' a fake mountain with swinging motions)

The paintball pods really look nice.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Michael's sells plastic balls (maybe clear styrene, maybe acrylic), though they might not go down that small.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
karim

Post by karim »

US Plastics is having a clearance on their Styrene Balls:

Styrene Balls
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Cool!
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

Half Domes:

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup ... tem_detail

If it desn't work--click on the category and work to it

Forget Me Notâ„¢ Containers
Unforgettable Storage Solutions for Partially Used Produce!

Introducing ingenious solutions for storing partially used fruits and vegetables where you'll remember to use them—in the front of the fridge! These unique containers feature balanced arms, allowing you to hang them from a solid or wire refrigerator shelf.

Forget Me Notâ„¢ Containers
The Forget Me Notâ„¢ Containers provide superior fridge storage for half an onion, tomato, orange or other round, partially used fruit or vegetable. The Forget Me Notâ„¢ Containers includes two (355 mL) 12-oz. containers, one each in Red and Sheer Ice.

It feature's a large tab on the seal for ease of opening and closing. Plus, with the one-piece, hinged designs, there are no seals to store or lose...giving you even more to smile about!

I saw a strange swan-shaped--duck footed plastic piece--that looked like it would be perfect for a star-swan liner. It had the word CHAPIN (TM) on it...
www.chapinmfg.com ?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The acrylic balls are also on sale.
Abolish Alliteration
publiusr

Post by publiusr »

OT--But The listerine strips themselvs might make for interesting monitor screens with soft light behind them.