Color+tape problem

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

Color+tape problem

Post by darth_daniel »

Hi everyone, I´m building a USS Seawolf (okay I know it´s not scifi but the problem could also occur on a scifi kit), and when building an F-4 I had to mask of certain areas after the first layer of paint had dried. But when removing the tape, some of the 1st color was removed as well.
So, now I used the same tape, and now I´ll have to paint the sides of the ship grey. This means I´ll have to mask the black and red color. And I fear that I´ll peel off some paint again when removing tape afterwards.
Only thing, on the F-4 I didn´t use primer (shame on me). Do you think I should use a different tape? Or will the paint stick better due to the primer? BTW, I´m using Revell colors and Tamiya tape (yellow, 0.5cm wide).
Any help would be appreciated! :D
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You are using the right tape. I think that using primer will help. Also, making sure the model is good and clean before painting is important.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Okay, thanks, I´ll give it a try then!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It sounds like you've got some oil residue left on the plastic. Happens occasionally. Primer will help, wiping the model down with alcohol helps, not eating fried food when building really helps.
Abolish Alliteration
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Also, if you haven't done this, allow the paint to dry over night as a minimum, better if 1-2 days before masking. Although the paint may be dry to the touch after a few minutes to hours, it has not yet fully cured. Masking before it ha cured will cause it to lift up when the masking is removed. BTW, curing time for gloss colours is considrably longer and its best to leave it sit for a week.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

A week?! Wow...I haven´t got any other model to work on in the meantime! But I guess it´s worth it.... :cry: