Dullcoting Problem

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TriggerMan

Dullcoting Problem

Post by TriggerMan »

I was trying my dullcoting today for the first time to get a feel for it and I tried some old junk model parts with decals. So I sprayed the dullcote on it and some of the decals crumbled up.

Anything I can do to prevent this on serious future projects?
Perhaps the "Glosscote/Decal/Dullcote" Procedure would remedy this? The decals were pretty well on the plastic so not sure why it was doing that.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Check terrors decal thread. Some very good advise there. Always seal your decals. I Glosscote, decal, glosscote then dullcote. Are you using laquer dullcote?
Brian
TriggerMan

Post by TriggerMan »

Yes. Testors Flat laquer Dullcote.

1. Is there there something in the glosscote that prevents the decals from crumbling up?

2. Where might I find that thread at? I couldn't find it :(
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Laquer is very agresive to other paints and decals. dual gloss coats and let it set 3 or 4 days if your in a hurry, a week is better. dullcote in multiple fine coats and let dry in between coats. humidity plays a big factor up here also. Are you using spray can or air brush?
Check the finnishing forum - the sticky for decals should help 8)
Brian
TriggerMan

Post by TriggerMan »

Great thanks! I'll keep that thread in mind my friend. And I used the Testors Spray Can.

If it's any help, I just bought a 3 Pc. Enterprise set and downloaded the custom Window/Escape Pod decals on this site in the Tech. Library I believe it is. I'm going to print them off and apply these to my ships and dont want a big mess of wrinkled decals!

So I will do this: Cote the ship with a gloss cote. Apply the decals, then seal those in with another coating of GlossCote. And should I leave the ships glossy or dull cote them? I know that's probably matter of personal opinion and judgment but I'm welcome to any suggestions.

Also since I'm using the custom decals, I've heard some conflicting reports that i either should use the Testors Microsol fo the decals or not. Including on that thread and then modelers who I've spoken with personally. Any tips on that in this case?
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Part of the issue may also be the age of the decals, how long the have been on the kit (here I am assuming that they were not originally sealed), how they were put on (ie soaked until modt the glue disolveed etc). I have some junk models/parts that were decaled and never sealed. I swear the decals will crumble by just looking at them.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

It always help with both Glosscote and Dullcote to apply a first light cat and then heavier coats. Many decals will dissolve in heavy wet coats of many clear products. Another way of testing is to try the clear cat on a small unimportant decal from the same sheet.