Compressor - Small industrial Vs Dedicated hobby?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

stevipop

Compressor - Small industrial Vs Dedicated hobby?

Post by stevipop »

Guys,
Despite a forum search I need advice. I've looked at both of the above and I'm torn. Noise isn't really a problem unless a rough industrial compressor is going to unexpectedly scare me half to death during a critical spraying operation! I'm planning on a small 1.5/2.0 hp - 24/40 Ltr capacity, including regulator and moisture trap.

What are your experiences? How do domestic/small industrial/hobby compare?

I am also new to the airbrush scene and plan to mate my compressor with a Badger 155 Anthem, of which I've heard great reports. Good airbrush perhaps? (a once only purchase BTW!).

Any feedback would be welcome.
Last edited by stevipop on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I'm sure you'll find that a small industrual compressor is going to have one or two more features that the dedicated hobby one doesn't unless you get a real top-of-the-line hobby compressor with all the bells and whistles. A small industrual compressor might have a larger tank so you san spray longer without having to recharge, multiple connectors - this might be a problem because who's to say your airbrush connector will be one of them? I'll come with gauges and maybe a moisture trap. Small industrual compressors are probably more stable when operating because I've seen a lot with shocks or springs they sit upon. One more thing, the industrial compressor might be a tad less expensive than the hobby one.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can run with an industrial compressor no problem. Just remember to purge your tank as per the instructions to avoid rust buildup in the tank itself. The tank is your moisture trap. A ball valve at the tank will let you change the hoses as you need. Or quick connects.

Joe "Sparky" has a big compressor, and he ran iron pipe through his basement for air hookups! What an engineer!

And instead of the 155, I'd get the 360 which is the 155 but with a swivel head.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
stevipop

Post by stevipop »

Thanks for the replies guys,
I'd considered a hobby compressor but they are monstrous money for only a small receiver size. The only obvious benefit I can see over a small industrial model apart from portabilitty is noise. Is 80 decibels loud?
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

80 decibels is in the range of an electric shaver, small power tools, a home doorbell, the telephone ringing, food processor/ blender, or highway traffic.

A normal human conversation is around 50-60 decibels.
stevipop

Post by stevipop »

Thanks Baba,

I can cope with that :D

1 small, industrial compressor on the shopping list :thumbsup:
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I also recommend the shop compressor over the little hobby ones. If nothing else, for the sheer utility of it. Not only can you run your airbrush with it, but you can also air up tires, operate air tools, blow out the gutters, and scare the cats.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:and scare the cats.
John Lester wrote:Gawd, now he tells me
:lol: