Tamiya Flat Thinning Ratio for airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Chairman Beausabre

Tamiya Flat Thinning Ratio for airbrush

Post by Chairman Beausabre »

Any recommendations for a thinning ratio for using Tamiya Flat Acrylic out of the jar in an airbrush? :?
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Is that flat base? If so then you mix it with something else, usually clear gloss (I used Future-surprise!) rather than thinning it. The flat base isn't paint per-say (maybe the wrong spelling). It just dulls down clear coat. If that's the ratio your looking for I'd say don't bother, there's an article somewhere that gives the ratios for semi flat and flat and all that, But I found I needed way more flat (or dull) base than recommended.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I thin my tamiya's at least 50-50. Gloss a bit more so. Truthfully what I normally do is crack open a new bottle, fill the remainder of space with thinner (Tamiya brand) and shake. i've got some Tamiya caps modified with spouts for my airbrush so all I have to do is take off hte cap, put on the new one and spray. Then initial mix is less than 50-50 (more like 60-40) but I'll add more thinner as the volume drops.
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Kylwell, that sounds like a nifty idea. I've kinda wanted to try that but have been afraid of the paint going bad quickly from all the excess thinner. I imagine if you use the whole bottle within a couple weeks it wouldn't be a problem; however I don't turn out projects very quickly so bottles of paint tend to last me a long time. How long does thinned paint last for you?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I never had Tamiya go bad on me not matter how thinned it was. I've got bottles that are 9+ years old with no souring.
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Thanks for the info. I prefer heavily thinned Tamiya paints for airbrushing and will definitely give this a try.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've seen acrylics sour if you don't use the manufacturer's brand of thinner (Kylwell does)...

I've done the same thing (after seeing Kylwell's, natch), but with two different bottles, so I have a top for Gunze/Tamiya and one for Testors.

I haven't tried using the flat base for anything yet--I've still got a little of the Testors lacquer left. As soon as it's gone though, I'll try it. I've also heard of people mixing it with Future anywhere from 4:1 to 1:1...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

How do you tell that your paint is sour? it fell like a dumb question but i don't think it ever happend to mine, i use to thin them in a different bottle when needed. i might just start thinning them in their own bottle now...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

How to tell when paint goes bad....

Well it can go bad a couple of ways. It can seperate, giving you pigemtn on the bottom & clearish glop on top and no amount of stirring will mix the two (this I think is the most common). It can quite literally curdle, giving you lumps of pigment that have solidified. Much like when milk goes bad. And lasty, only had this happen with a certain brand of paint, it can loose it's ability to dry. You paint it on and it never, ever goes completely dry.
Abolish Alliteration
Locke_333

Post by Locke_333 »

well, those are quite obivious, i guess i won't miss it if it ever happen!
Thanks for the info!