My first aftermarket decal set...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SocrManiac

My first aftermarket decal set...

Post by SocrManiac »

...came without any special instructions at all. Do I treat these like "normal" decals? If anybody had a link to a set of step-by-step instructions for these things I'd be much appreciative... These things are too bloody expensive to screw up.

Additionally, after they're applied I need to do some masking/painting. Is a few coats of gloss enough to protect them from masking tape?

Many thanks to all!
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Usually you have to apply a clear coat before use them, to protect the ink... but everything else works in the same way...
SocrManiac

Post by SocrManiac »

Any type in particular?

Would an additional clear coat after application protect them from masking tape, or do I have to look into a different method of painting?
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Whatever acryllic clear, or gloss varnish or something like this should work. I use Mr. Metal Primer and works fine. The best thing you can do is to try it out before you do the final decals... every ink is a bit diferent from the other and the stuff in the clear liquids could react differently...

After this is done, you can use these decals as usual... no difference at all
TimeScape

Re: My first aftermarket decal set...

Post by TimeScape »

SocrManiac wrote:...came without any special instructions at all. Do I treat these like "normal" decals? If anybody had a link to a set of step-by-step instructions for these things I'd be much appreciative... These things are too bloody expensive to screw up.
Depends upon who is manufacturing them. If its a garage company, most likely they are printed on a colour laser or ink jet printer. Then you will need to coat them as Marcal has described. If the manufacturer has a high volume output (like Microscale) they probably do not require any special handling instructions as they are similar to those found in mainstream kits.

Who manufactures your decals? Someone on the board may have used decals from the manufacturer before and can better answer your questions.
SocrManiac wrote:Additionally, after they're applied I need to do some masking/painting. Is a few coats of gloss enough to protect them from masking tape?
As far as I know, there are no reliable methods to masking over decals after they have been applied, protectant coats or not. The best method I've seen is to copy the decal sheet and use then shapes to make masks for the areas where they are to be applied, paint/mask/paint as required, and then after removing the masks, apply the decals. There was an article in Fine Scale Modeler a few months ago that this technique was used. Not sure what aircraft was the subject but it had invasion stripe. Can look it up for you if you like.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
SocrManiac

Post by SocrManiac »

The decals are from www.starshipdecals.com. Unfortunately, it's been three weeks and I haven't seen them yet. Seems he didn't have them printed when I ordered them (big eBay no-no) and his paper supplier "let him down." As far as I know they still haven't even shipped. Starting to get pissed.

I'm assuming that with the quality of his operation thus far I'll have to baby these things and properly seal them. I'm really disappointed that there's no way to mask over an applied decal, however. I'll have to come up with something somehow.
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

When in doubt I first experiment with a small decal that is unimportant. I dip it in water to see if the ink bleeds or if it breaks apart. If there are any difficulties, I use a clear coat over the entire sheet. Anything from Future to Microscale Gloss or Flat to Tetors Dullcote works well. Then you have to cut out each decal carefully since the clear coat binds the entire sheet together.
Using a decal that won't be missed has saved many entire sheets for me.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

To add to that, most decal companies place their logo as well as the subject name on the sheet. These make good test cases.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.