Stripping Micromachines

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

lasgunpacker

Stripping Micromachines

Post by lasgunpacker »

Hello,
I am planning to repaint some Star Trek Micromachines, but I would like to strip off the previous paint coat first. The models appear to be vinyl of some kind.

I tried simple green, but even after soaking 3 days in a 75% solution, the paint stayed on.

Any ideas? Would Acetone work?

Thanks,
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I'd just prime and spray again. It's be hard to determine what kind of paint they used on them and I wouldn't use anything too strong. The MM ships are molded out of some pretty soft stuff. Acetone might disolve the plastic.
lasgunpacker

Post by lasgunpacker »

Actually, I have a sacrificial victim for the acetone test, so I’ll let you know how that goes. Reputably it works on collectable miniatures, and those are some sort of vinyl as well. I’ll report on how it goes.
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

lasgunpacker wrote:Actually, I have a sacrificial victim for the acetone test, so I’ll let you know how that goes. Reputably it works on collectable miniatures, and those are some sort of vinyl as well. I’ll report on how it goes.
The collectable minis, tend to be a metal, or stiff plastic.
I wonder if the micro machines are painted with a vinyl paint,
that bonds into the plastic. That way it does not come off,
and some stupid kid does not die from paint flaks.
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Actually, Babaganoosh's recommendation of priming over the original paint is probably the best idea. One of the big problem with repainting toys is the matter of primer compatibility. In this case, the original paint is a great first coat of primer.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...