Tea-Tree Oil

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DapperDave

Tea-Tree Oil

Post by DapperDave »

Hey guys, found something interesting last night- Some of you may have heard of tea-tree oil, it's a very aromatic oil used in many skin-care products and available pure - apparently it also makes a great paint remover. After a session of painting with tamiya acrlyics I had a bit of paint on my fingers, even after a thorough washing. I went to treat a small skin problem with some tea-tree oil on a cotton ball - and low, the once impervious paint came off after the barest of contact with the oil :!: Not sure if this has been a problem for others, but my hands always seem to suffer after painting. The greatest thing is that this product is actually good for your skin with no drying effects at all.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Neat! When we have a baby and he/she has cradle cap, I can use it for other stuff, too!
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

I'm not sure wether I should put this oil in my hands or in my models !!! :D :D :D
DapperDave

Post by DapperDave »

Well...I wasn't suggesting you use it on your models :?...merely as a skin-friendly clean up agent.
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

DapperDave wrote:Well...I wasn't suggesting you use it on your models :?...merely as a skin-friendly clean up agent.
and I got it :D what I mean is that I'm not sure what is more messy my hands or my models because my painting skills are... hummm... improveable. :D :D

Thanks for the tip.

to cleaning hands there are a lot of special soaps for industrial use. I mean for people who works in a Garage, a factory, etc... I found this kind of soaps very good to clean the paint from the hands, however they are not skind-friendly.

:wink:
DapperDave

Post by DapperDave »

aww....gotcha..sorry, I missread that post :oops:
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Out of curiosity, do you have a brand name or web link?

I know what Tea Tree oil is from a fragrance/perfume/flavor ingredient standpoint, but don't know about this product. I'm not so up to date on much of the niche cosmetics, but if this is just a soap using Tea Tree oil as a fragrance, then OK.

I'm just concerned for ya, that's all.

Tea Tree is an Australian native evergreen plant, the oil has long been used as an antimicrobial/disinfectant and its compounds are desirable in flavors. Its major components are things like linalool, eugenol, cinnamics and other terpenes - all very good antimicrobials and common spice components.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
DapperDave

Post by DapperDave »

I believe what I am using is just the oil - it's in a small jar, maybe 5 oz, simply labled "Tea-Tree Oil." I actually don't remember where I got it from, though I do have some tea-tree oil soap that came from trader joe's.