Looking to do a simple resin pour

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Aurora-7

Looking to do a simple resin pour

Post by Aurora-7 »

..........if such a thing is poscible.

I have a Starcrafts Nova Class Starship resin model and the engine mold portion is out of alignment for the top and bottom halves. The mold must have not be aligned well when the resin was poured. The rest of the kit is fine except for the engine pods. I got the ket a few years ago so I think asking for a replacement is a little late. I was just planning on sanding the engine edges to fit but I think they will end up looking a bit strange and asymetrical.

So I was thinking of cutting the engines from thier pylons and make a mold of the bottom halves of them and use resin to create new bottoms. I would then chip/sand away the bottom halves of the kit resin engines and glue the new casted halves in place an re-attach the new engines to the pylons.

My question is, is there a particular resin I should use for this kind of thing? I would just be pouring into an elongated depression about a 1/4" deep and a few inches long. Also, can I just use modeling clay with some kind of release agent spread over the surface before pouring?
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

It is possible... But, I think you sjould try and get a new set first. Get in touch with Tracy at FedMod, and tell him what you have, and whay you would like and see what happens.

The problem with the clay mold is that ANY movement will distort it beyond use. Yoy could carefully cut the bottoms off. Using sheet styrene, build up the kerf, and simplly re-align the part.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Aurora-7

Post by Aurora-7 »

johnnycrash wrote: The problem with the clay mold is that ANY movement will distort it beyond use. Yoy could carefully cut the bottoms off. Using sheet styrene, build up the kerf, and simplly re-align the part.
I was thinking of cutting it off but it would be real easy to screw it up and ruin the bottom piece. Trying to keep a straight cut on a long and thin piece of resin maybe beyond my 43 year old shaky hands.

And I suppose contacting Fed Mod wouldn't hurt.