Airbrush Challenged

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jawajedi

Airbrush Challenged

Post by jawajedi »

I am buying my first airbrush, a Badger 150. So my next question is "how to". Paints? I guess I can just pour in some testors paint right outta the bottle? Air pressure? I hear around 10 to 15lbs. is the "ideal". Read a couple of the articles, but still a little fuzzy don't want to kill it once I get it.

Ideas? a better guide link to using one?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Paints. Most paints will need to be thinned with the approriate thinner. Some paints are labels as thinned for airbrushing.

Air Pressure. Somewhat of a personal prefrence, but 15psi is a good starting point.

Cleaning. Alwasy clean the brush after use. This means, at the very least, spraying cleaner through the brush for at least 30 seconds.

Ventilation. A mask is essential, even if you're spraying in the great outdoors. Even if it's just a simple paper dust mask, thou' the 3M 8247 is better.
Abolish Alliteration
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

I've recently started using my airbrush for more than just primer coats and here's what I've found so far:
  • * Lower pressures work better for detail work. The Badger Crescendo I'm using works great with ~15 psi with the fine needle, and ~20 for the medium needle.

* Not all Testors Model Master (enamels) need thinning but most of them do. You need to find the ratio of paint-2-thinner by experimentation. Mine's approx. 90% paint 10% thinner (sometimes less). Metalizers need no thinning as far as I can tell.

* Tamiya paints need little or no thinning out of the bottle, but I still add a few drops of denatured alcohol to speed the drying time.

* Practice 1st with an old model you have not finished or plan to dump. It'll help get used to the airbrush and you can experiment with pressures, thinning rations & settings to until you get the results you want.

* If you're gonna use both acrylic & enamel paints, do not use the same airbrush for them. I use the Crescendo for enamels and a 150LG for acrylics.

* Use a mask when airbrushing. The surgical masks that cover both your nose & mouth will work if you have adequate ventilation.
More as I stumble through. :wink: But the best way is to just jump in and start using it. :D
"If people make you sick, maybe you should cook them longer."