Removing Chrome Plating

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Removing Chrome Plating

Post by tonyG2 »

Can anyone suggest a reliable way to strip chrome plating from plastic parts?
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've had good luck with Mr. Clean, others report bleach works well too.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
kovertops

Post by kovertops »

Bleach. Soak the piece or entire sprue, in a shallow pan of 'clorox' overnite, (on the back porch to avoid the stank) and the chroming on the plastic will be gone.
I dreamed of a dusty place, with a broken-nosed cat and some half-buried d-8s. Shirley McClaine was pretending to be there...
scifi58

Post by scifi58 »

Pinesol, the plain unflavored kind, works great and doesn't have as harsh an odor as chlorine. Again, soak in shallow pan overnite.

LG Johnson
"One, two, five..." "Three, sir." "Three lock box."
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

Windex, just soak it in windex for a day or so. Bleach and some of the other suggestions here can leave the plastic a little soft or brittle. Windex is gentle enough that it just takes off the chrome with little to no effect on the plastic. In fact, Windex is so gentle that I have a number of drink recipies if anyone is interested.

K
John P

Post by John P »

In fact, I'm soaking in it right now!
The unknown is only unknown until you know it. Ya know?
artic316

Re: Removing Chrome Plating

Post by artic316 »

tonyG2 wrote:Can anyone suggest a reliable way to strip chrome plating from plastic parts?

Hi I have used castrol superclean and it removes chrome just dandy.I spay it on directly and let it sit about and hour and spray another coat.About a half hour later I turn on warm water and use a nylon scrub brush to gently remove the chrome.I repeat as needed.It is a trick I learned on the board. 8)
improvise adapt and overcome.We are the fellowship of modelers.
Trollkina

Stripping Chrome Plating Quick and Easy!

Post by Trollkina »

I use 409 Cleaner - depending on the size of the piece - put enough in a paper cup, drop the piece in and wait about 3 to 5 minutes (heavy plating a lil longer) and you can actually see it change from silver to the plastic color. quick and easy
Brad

Post by Brad »

I've heard oven cleaner works well. Can any one confirm that?
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

Yeah, oven cleaner works great at removing chrome. It also welds the styrene right to your skin, which is being disolved by the oven cleaner. Oven cleaner also takes the paint right off a car, and causes cancer. Go with the Windex.

"Windex, the other mouthwash"

K
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

If you're looking at removing the plating from a Polar Lights kit, forget it - it won't come off, no matter waht you try, short of sanding it off. I don't know why. Their process must be different from other manufacturers. The prime offender is their Back to the Future deLorean Time Machine. The problem with that kit is that they used a heavy "antique pewter" finish which looks nothing at all like the brushed stainless steel of the original car. AND you can't bloody well remove it! Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh!

The usual process for plating a model kit is called "vacuum deposition" or vacuum plating. It involves placing the parts in a vacuum chamber and vapourising a small amount of aluminum, which settles on the parts by means of a static electrical charge. The parts are then sprayed with a clear or tinted lacquer.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Sci Fi Smoker

Post by Sci Fi Smoker »

Castrol Super Clean Degreaser. IMO the best stuff.
A free man can never be defeated, he can only be killed.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I always carry a couple of jugs of CSC. It's perfect for darn near stripping everything (save the PL Delorean, die casts or Resin)
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Owen E Oulton wrote:If you're looking at removing the plating from a Polar Lights kit, forget it - it won't come off, no matter waht you try, short of sanding it off.
Really? The Mr. Clean trick took the plating right off the D-7 kit I've got. I'm gonna hit the HomerMobile and the Ecto-1 next...

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I soak my in Coke for a day. It's much safer than other chemicals you buy in the household section of the grocery store and much less expensive. Sure, might take a while longer but the results are the same and your place won't smell like the morgue.
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

babaganoosh wrote:I soak my in Coke for a day. It's much safer than other chemicals you buy in the household section of the grocery store and much less expensive. Sure, might take a while longer but the results are the same and your place won't smell like the morgue.
Oh, sure! Use soda whydoncha? It'll stain the plastic that nasty brown color. Not to mention the weight gain and how badly it messes with your blood-sugar. Use Windex for all your parts-stripping and thirst-quenching needs.

K

P.S. For a summer time treat, put a dolop of vanila ice cream into a tall glass of Windex for a cool, refreshing "Windex Float".
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

babaganoosh wrote:I soak my in Coke for a day. It's much safer than other chemicals you buy in the household section of the grocery store and much less expensive. Sure, might take a while longer but the results are the same and your place won't smell like the morgue.
Wasn't this Busted in an episode of Mythbusters?? :P
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

It works and doesn't stain.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

And all of the above have used US trade names - and many of these products are not available in the UK.

The 2 I've used are:-

1) Modelstrip. It is a caustic paste which strips just about any paint including chrome. Available from model shops about £3.80.

2) Persil "Power Spray". Mildly caustic spray meant for getting grunge off of ovens, BBQ grills etc, but works great at removing most paint from models. May need more than one application to work. You may also need to scratch the chrome surface a bit.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Coke doesn't exist in the UK?
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Kempesh wrote:Yeah, oven cleaner works great at removing chrome. It also welds the styrene right to your skin, which is being disolved by the oven cleaner. Oven cleaner also takes the paint right off a car, and causes cancer. Go with the Windex.

K
Not even close to true as a broad generality. I've used EZ Off (lemony fresh) to strip chrome plating off all sorts of kits. It does absolutely nothing to the styrene. Some other srtippers will leach out the chrome, but not strip away the clear layer used to give the chrome finish. EZ Off strips down to bare styrene with no problem.
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

MarkW wrote:
Kempesh wrote:Yeah, oven cleaner works great at removing chrome. It also welds the styrene right to your skin, which is being disolved by the oven cleaner. Oven cleaner also takes the paint right off a car, and causes cancer. Go with the Windex.

K
Not even close to true as a broad generality. I've used EZ Off (lemony fresh) to strip chrome plating off all sorts of kits. It does absolutely nothing to the styrene. Some other srtippers will leach out the chrome, but not strip away the clear layer used to give the chrome finish. EZ Off strips down to bare styrene with no problem.
Dude, don't assume I'm being serious in these critiques. I am over here advocating Windex as an alternative drink to Coke after all. You can't really read into that kinda thing too deep.

K
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Dude, don't assume I'm being serious in these critiques. I am over here advocating Windex as an alternative drink to Coke after all. You can't really read into that kinda thing too deep.

Guy, people are here asking legitimate questions about real modelling concerns and screwing around isn't at all appreciated. Go play in Thunderdome if you want to be an idiot, but purposely giving out bad information is one way to make yourself really unpopular really fast. This is a technical forum and crap like this is on the wrong end of the signal-to-noise ratio,
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

since when are people serious here?
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

babaganoosh wrote:since when are people serious here?
This from a guy who thinks coke is cheaper than Windex? How much does a gram go for these days? :wink:
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Plain old Clorox bleach worked just fine on my PL D7. The de-chromed parts took paint with no problems.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

MarkW wrote:
babaganoosh wrote:since when are people serious here?
This from a guy who thinks coke is cheaper than Windex? How much does a gram go for these days? :wink:
The COLA variety, ya idjit!
Perotis

Post by Perotis »

Brad wrote:I've heard oven cleaner works well. Can any one confirm that?
yes i can.
"...and then I shove my ovapositor down your throat and lay my eggs in your chest... But I'm not an alien."

<A href="http://www.noagendashow.com/">No Agenda</A> ---- <A href="http://www.frogpants.com">Frog Pants</A>
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

babaganoosh wrote:Coke doesn't exist in the UK?
True - I missed it in the thread. But once you've seen what it does to paint, filler and sometimes even plastic you will never want to drink the stuff again!

The biggest drawback with cola is that the stickiness is so darn pervasive it's hard to really get rid of all of it.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

Owen E Oulton wrote:Dude, don't assume I'm being serious in these critiques. I am over here advocating Windex as an alternative drink to Coke after all. You can't really read into that kinda thing too deep.

Guy, people are here asking legitimate questions about real modelling concerns and screwing around isn't at all appreciated. Go play in Thunderdome if you want to be an idiot, but purposely giving out bad information is one way to make yourself really unpopular really fast. This is a technical forum and crap like this is on the wrong end of the signal-to-noise ratio,
I think you could benefit from a cool glass of iced windex. It'll take the edge off...

BTW, I am serious about using it for stripping chrome, it works great and it is something most of us have already. There is nothing bad about the info, it is a perfectly good solution to the problem being addressed. If you can't handle a little levity along with the advice, I would suggest a sedative of some sort. Everybody else here seems pretty cool and are keeping it lighthearted where ever I go on these boards.

K