3d model building/printing services

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

jpolacchi

3d model building/printing services

Post by jpolacchi »

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I am not sure who else to pose this too? I've a fairly large project I'm wanting to take on and some of the parts I'm making (kit bashing together really) to make certain components may still be out of scale. Either a little too big or a little too small. It's almost impossible to get a perfect scale when you are kit bashing from two or maybe four different scales kits/parts. That being said, how or where can you find someone who knows how to rebuild 3d models to be printed by rebuilding the part(s) and rescaling them to the correct scale and printed? I don't know where to look or who top ask or contact. It sounds potentially expensive and it's something I don't know how to do, but will most likely be necessary. Any ideas?
Cobywan The First

Re: 3d model building/printing services

Post by Cobywan The First »

It really depends on how complex the piece you want is in relation to how accurate you need it on how the final cost will be. The 3d printer I've had for a few years is less than $200 and produces amazing parts. I am using Blender 3D to do my modeling and love it. That software is free. So anyone doing the task as service won't need to pay a couple grand in overhead.

If I may ask, what kind of part are you needing? There may even be a free STL online already if it's a common greeble used in the studio models from the 70's and 80's.
jpolacchi

Re: 3d model building/printing services

Post by jpolacchi »

I haven't made it yet, but it will be a combination of kit bashed pieces to make the end result (various scale of kit parts used). So, its 100% custom. I'm a ways off from really getting started. I just was curious if it would be a crippling expense or not? I've no idea if some of the parts can be plucked from some vast STL data base and used to assist in making the part? I mean...maybe? Honestly, I don't really know? This is way out of my expertise. I would like it to be as accurate and as detailed as I can make it. The only thing I could do is provide a physical model (a casting) as a reference for someone to work from, the finished scale/size etc. I don't know if that means I should cast it in its finished form, or if I should have it broken down in its smaller, parts and pieces? Maybe both? What I need to do is stop buying kit bash parts and work on finishing the finished design (blueprints of some kind) so I can start on that stuff.