Applying Walthers Solv-a-set with an airbrush?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Applying Walthers Solv-a-set with an airbrush?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I was struck with the notion to do this in order to apply Solv-a-set to a decal without disturbing it, and it works pretty well for the few that I've used it on, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and if there were any issues that this might potentially cause before I go ham on some wallpaper decals and end up ruining my work?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
DaveVan

Re: Applying Walthers Solv-a-set with an airbrush?

Post by DaveVan »

Solv-a-set user for 45 years.....never thought of using it in a air brush......but if it works for you,,,,GREAT!
While it is one of the hottest decal solvents I do not have any issues with it. I have been a decal manufacture for 35 years now and when used correctly is great stuff.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Solvaset is hot. I usually apply just a drop of it after I have set the decal with another solution and then leave it alone until it's dry.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Well, the main problem I was trying to solve was not the "hotness" of the solution, but rather the tendency for decals to sometimes move when I brush it on, even when I use a soft bristle brush. When this happens, it's a disaster because I often don't have enough time to push it back into place due to it turning the decal to mush within seconds. Misting Solv-a-set with my airbrush in a thin coat prevented the movement issue I was having and gave the decal an even coat. I was potentially worried about this causing some kind of chemical problem I hadn't foreseen, but if this won't cause a problem then I'm definitely going to keep using it! It's so handy for big decals because it doesn't pool anywhere and I can control how much I put on the model. :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

With an air brush all you are doing is mixing air with the solution. There shouldn't be any chemical changes or dying out like occurs with some paints.

What I sometimes do is apply the decal with lots of water on it and then apply a drop of Solvaset to the water. I then make sure the decal is in place and then wick away the excess with the corner of a paper towel.

After some early disastrous results using Solvaset at full strength I have always cut it to reduce it's hotness. i have had no problems with Walthers or the Microscale A and B setting solutions.

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My only concern, provided you're using adequate ventilation, would be seal degradation. For that you'd need to get an SDS or MSDS on Solvaset and see if the seals for your airbrush are proof against it.
Abolish Alliteration
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Good point. We don't know the long term effects of Solvaset on airbrush seals. I wouldn't take much to gum one up.

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Interesting idea. Sounds like a job for a single-action airbrush.

I've used hot stuff on misbehaving decals, but always with a brush (and a level of caution like I'm handling a rattlesnake). Usually it has ended in failure. An airbrush could give better control, but I'd still treat it like a rattlesnake.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/