I feel dumb asking this,but...Vinyl models,acrylic paint&oils?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

I feel dumb asking this,but...Vinyl models,acrylic paint&oils?

Post by jpolacchi »

Can you finish detailing a vinyl kit with oils after it has been painted with acrylics and then top coated with a clear coat be it flat,satin or gloss? Would an enamel hurt the finish or should a lacquer be used?
Rocketeer

Re: I feel dumb asking this,but...Vinyl models,acrylic paint&oils?

Post by Rocketeer »

I wouldn't do it. I had some vinyl wings I grafted to a figure once, and I could not get oils to dry on those wings. I tried all sorts of primers, even Stynylres acrylic primer, to no avail. I finally wiped away the oils using some thinner and went with artist's acrylics with copious amounts of retarder mixed in to slow the drying and permit me to blend colors.

So I think that even with the acrylic paint between the oils and vinyl, it's going to give you problems.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I wonder why you can do that with other models (resin/plastic)? If you lay down an acrylic base you can finish it with artist oils(or enamels I think?) and it fully cures and you can seal it with a lacquer clear coat
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I wonder why you can do that with other models (resin/plastic)? If you lay down an acrylic base you can finish it with artist oils (or enamels I think?) and it fully cures and you can seal it with a lacquer clear coat.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I wonder why you can do that with other models (resin/plastic)? If you lay down an acrylic base you can finish it with artist oils (or enamels I think?) and it fully cures and you can seal it with a lacquer clear coat
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I wonder why you can do that with other models (resin/plastic)? If you lay down an acrylic base you can finish it with artist oils (or enamels I think?) and it fully cures and you can seal it with a lacquer clear coat.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Unless the acrylic paint is completely and fully cured, it will not stop oil paints from leaching through to the vinyl below. Even then, the oils in the vinyl may still creep through the acrylic/lacquer into the oil paint above preventing it from drying. Don't forget, too, that oil paints never really dry completely - at least, not in the way enamels, lacquer and acrylics do - at least not for a few decades.

To put it simply, I never use oils with vinyl kits. Anything you can do with oils can be done with acrylics (which are cheaper, less toxic and dry quicker). If you need longer drying time so that you can do something like blending, you can always use an acrylic inhibitor which will extend the drying time.

To be honest, I don't even like using enamels or lacquers on vinyl. Aside from any chemical incompatibility, they tend to be less flexible and eventually flake, craze or crack.

BTW - No question is ever dumb - especially for the person asking it
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

So weird how that works. What do you use for priming vinyl kits? Acrylic only? I don't have many vinyl kits, just a very small few. I have maybe...six of them? Apologies for the multiple posts about. Don;='t know how that happened? I wish I could get rid of the extras.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

jpolacchi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:50 pm What do you use for priming vinyl kits? Acrylic only?
I personally use automotive acrylic primers all the time for vinyl - in the UK we have a really excellent brand, Halfords. They even do a plastic primer intended for use on plastics used in cars such as polypropylene, polyethylene, polycarbonate and, indeed, vinyl. This particular primer is a sickly zinc-chromate sort of color and has a filler which makes it less suitable for finer detail. The other primers all work equally well on normal IP plastics (polystyrene, ABS, etc.), resins and vinyl and are flexible and adhesive enough to stay on the vinyl. It comes in large spray cans in grey, white, black and iron-oxide red. They cover well and don't hide detail.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Wug

Post by Wug »

In general you want to use acrylics on vinyl.

I've built one vinyl kit, the Wave Aestivalis from Nadesico. I primed it with Mr. Surfacer, an acrylic lacquer, and painted it with Tamiya acrylics. For the metallic parts I used Floquil, an enamel, over the Tamiya. I might have put down a barrier coat of Future over the Tamiya, It's been many years and I can't remember.

After I finished the model I stored it in a box filled with plastic peanuts. When I took it out, a few of the areas the plastic peanuts touched melted a little. All these years latter the ares with the Floquil are okay.

Vinyl is a weird material.

Mike
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

seam-filler wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 am
jpolacchi wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:50 pm What do you use for priming vinyl kits? Acrylic only?
I personally use automotive acrylic primers all the time for vinyl.
Totally agreed. Tamiya's White Acrylic primer spray is top, but less expensive spray (automotove stiff is just great; my favorite is Duplicolor) will suffice.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu