Best online source for hemispheres?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

jpolacchi

Re: Best online source for hemispheres?

Post by jpolacchi »

I think if you want real ping pong balls, you have to go to a sports store. Cheaper means, cheap plastic and not knowing what plastic or plastics it was made from.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I think if you want real ping pong balls, you have to go to a sports store. Cheaper means, cheap plastic and not knowing what plastic or plastics it was made from.
TAC

Post by TAC »

From Australia. KF Plastics for acrylic domes https://www.kfplastics.com.au/acrylic-domes/
TAC = Take A Chance.
John

Post by John »

This sounds weird, but at the pet store they sell these clear globes you can put critters in so they can run around the house. Without being eaten by the local cats I guess. And not escape I suppose.

Anyways - they are 2 hemispheres screwed together. I once bought rhe largest for a possible comet empire asteriod base. I think it's 18 inches in diameter

Plus is it's very durable and solid. Thick plastic. Minus is the breathing holes for the critter. And one side has a round screw on door for ingress/egress of said critter.

Oh and it was cheap too. Compared to the real stuff you can get online.
Building Science Fiction models is NOT weird. Falling in love with the e-surance girl, that's weird. Not that I would know anything about that.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

John that’s excellent, I had forgotten about the critter locomotion devices.
You can fill in the breathing holes with putty or even work them into your design.
Never miss an opportunity to be a class act.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

John wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:12 pm This sounds weird, but at the pet store they sell these clear globes you can put critters in so they can run around the house. Without being eaten by the local cats I guess. And not escape I suppose.
:thumbsup: One of the most impressive scratchbuilt Death Stars I've ever seen started life as a 12" hamster ball.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson