Finishing: Home-made decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Re: Finishing: Home-made decals

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

jwkitson wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:30 pm Hi all, I've got a question on what to use for sealing inkjet printed decals. I'm currently in Japan, so most of the options mentioned so far aren't readily available or maybe under different names that I am not associating. I can easily find the inkjet paper, but I'm not sure what spray to use after the decals have been printed and dried. Can I just use any clear coat, or is there something I should look for specifically. Tamiya products are probably easiest to come by, but anyone who knows something that I'd be likely to pick up in a Japanese hobby shop would be great.

Thanks!
I just came across your message. I also live in Japan. You can get Micro Decal Bonder here in Japan. I do believe that will work. You can spray it on with an airbrush. Some people also just spray the decals with clear lacquer. As for me, I buy the clear Fine Molds decal paper and print with laser printers at work. It works nice, but I do wish they could make it actual A4 instead of "about A4" because some printers take issue with the fact that it is not quite A4 size. Their white decal paper is too thick, but I guess any white decal paper is like that?
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
jwkitson

Post by jwkitson »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:30 pm I just came across your message. I also live in Japan. You can get Micro Decal Bonder here in Japan. I do believe that will work. You can spray it on with an airbrush. Some people also just spray the decals with clear lacquer. As for me, I buy the clear Fine Molds decal paper and print with laser printers at work. It works nice, but I do wish they could make it actual A4 instead of "about A4" because some printers take issue with the fact that it is not quite A4 size. Their white decal paper is too thick, but I guess any white decal paper is like that?
Thanks for answering. I haven't had any luck finding Micro Decal Bonder at either the local shops or online, I'm in Kyoto and otherwise feel like there's a good stock of stuff available but that is the one thing lacking. I guess I could try a clear lacquer, though then I'm back to figuring out which one is good for such a thing...

I don't have access to a laser printer, so I'm limited to inkjet for the moment.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Tamiya clear will work. 2 to 3 very light coats. Good luck.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

I frequently use simple acrylic varnish (gloss) from a rattle can, but I normally just do small detail decals. A quick hush with the can for a thin varnish layer is normally enough to fix the ink (HP), if I use too much the ink starts "bleeding". I use Expert*'s Choice decal paper, both clear and white, even though the latter lacks IMHO opacity.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

jwkitson wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:12 am
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:30 pm I just came across your message. I also live in Japan. You can get Micro Decal Bonder here in Japan. I do believe that will work. You can spray it on with an airbrush. Some people also just spray the decals with clear lacquer. As for me, I buy the clear Fine Molds decal paper and print with laser printers at work. It works nice, but I do wish they could make it actual A4 instead of "about A4" because some printers take issue with the fact that it is not quite A4 size. Their white decal paper is too thick, but I guess any white decal paper is like that?
Thanks for answering. I haven't had any luck finding Micro Decal Bonder at either the local shops or online, I'm in Kyoto and otherwise feel like there's a good stock of stuff available but that is the one thing lacking. I guess I could try a clear lacquer, though then I'm back to figuring out which one is good for such a thing...

I don't have access to a laser printer, so I'm limited to inkjet for the moment.
Dude, if you are in Kyoto, I am sure there must be a Volks store. I am nearly certain Volks should have Micro products. In fact, if you could ever get to the Volks/Zokei Mura HQ building, I would really like to ask you a favor. I've been compiling a video of HQ buildings for model companies across Japan: Tamiya, Aoshima, Bandai, Fine Molds, Plum, Kotobukiya, Gaia Notes, etc. If you could ever just go there and film about 15 seconds of video of the building, I would definitely make it up to you. I have pretty much most recorded already. I just need to drive north from here to do God Hand and Mineshima, both located in Tsubame City in Niigata Prefecture.
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
jwkitson

Post by jwkitson »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:12 pm Dude, if you are in Kyoto, I am sure there must be a Volks store. I am nearly certain Volks should have Micro products. In fact, if you could ever get to the Volks/Zokei Mura HQ building, I would really like to ask you a favor. I've been compiling a video of HQ buildings for model companies across Japan: Tamiya, Aoshima, Bandai, Fine Molds, Plum, Kotobukiya, Gaia Notes, etc. If you could ever just go there and film about 15 seconds of video of the building, I would definitely make it up to you. I have pretty much most recorded already. I just need to drive north from here to do God Hand and Mineshima, both located in Tsubame City in Niigata Prefecture.
Thanks, I think I'm piecing this together. Are you meaning Micro Liquid Decal Film? I couldn't find a reference to Micro Decal Bonder, but the Liquid Decal Film sounds like what I need. I will have to check the next time I go to Volks. I'm not sure if I found that there before, but they do have a large selection of supplies so I could have just overlooked it. The first trick is always to know what I'm looking for.

I'll PM you on the video stuff.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

jwkitson wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:02 amAre you meaning Micro Liquid Decal Film?
Yes, this is what you want:
https://hlj.co.jp/product/MCS00112/Sup
You can maybe request it. Yodobashi, AmiAmi and Hobby Search is sold out and have stopped sales. Gougers want over 3,000 yen for it on Amazon.
Greg
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

I picked up some Testors decal paper for inkjet a little while back, and it recommends their brand of fixative for finishing the job. I don't think that product is still available, and was wondering if anybody knew of an acceptable substitute?
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
brt

Post by brt »

“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Thanks! I'll give it a look.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Thank you as well for the Hayes Paper link.

Which printers are people using in the year 2022 A.D.?

I notice Epson and Cannon both advertise consumer-grade printers that are capable of photo quality prints.
And there seems to be a population of gently used printers of that variety online.

I like to follow the 3-foot rule, so I don't need like 9600 d.p.i..
Around 2000 and up is beyond the limit of resolution for my eyes, personally.

Recommendations?
Never miss an opportunity to be a class act.