3d resin printer recomedations

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

galacticaactual

3d resin printer recomedations

Post by galacticaactual »

Hi everyone

I've decided to take the plunge and get a resin 3D printer, but I know nothing about it.

I'm wanting to print Star Trek ships and logos (for bases).

I've heard good things about Anycubic and Biqu.

What printers, materials do people recommend??
Mr. E Man

Re: 3d resin printer recomedations

Post by Mr. E Man »

I've had great luck with Elegoo Mars and Saturn printers, and am looking forward to the release of the Jupiter. But, I might wait on that one until they release the Jupiter 2.

I would recommend that you determine the size of ships and bases you would like to print, then pick a printer that has the size and capacity to print those items. I would also recommend doing a YouTube search for "3D Printing" and watching some of the videos explaining the resin printing process, different models and sizes of printers, use of slicers, types of resin, washing and curing the resin prints, and safety protocols (proper use of filter masks, gloves, and dealing with the toxic fumes of the resin and IPA).

E
TazMan2000

Re: 3d resin printer recomedations

Post by TazMan2000 »

I would get something as large as you can afford. IMO you will always need something large to accommodate future needs. So don't buy for your needs of what you want today. Think of what you will need in the near future.

I have an AnyCubic MonoX and am really satisfied with it, mainly because I have few problems with the build plate levelling, which has 4 tightening points spread out wider than an Elegoo Mars or Saturn. I used to have an Elegoo Mars, but I always had problems with tightening the build plate, because once the X or Y axis screw digs into the central pedestal ball, it will always want to go back into that spot, misaligning the print surface.
Poor design in my opinion. But Elegoo has changed that in the Jupiter. But after seeing a review video on YT about the Jupiter, I think the build plate is overly complex and heavy.

Whatever you get, ensure it has a monochrome screen to allow for faster prints.

TazMan2000