Anyone ever try something different than super glue for vinyl kits?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

Anyone ever try something different than super glue for vinyl kits?

Post by jpolacchi »

I was curious if anyone ever tried something different to assemble vinyl kits instead of super glues?Has anyone ever tried 5 min. epoxy, or possibly "vinyl or pvc glue/solvents" for potentially "stronger bonds"?I wouldn't try it right away,I'd test it on the scrap trimmed away,but was just curious if anyone else has done anything alternative to the super glue norm?
seam-filler

Re: Anyone ever try something different than super glue for vinyl kits?

Post by seam-filler »

Not being a great fan of CA, I mainly use 5-minute epoxy on vinyl kits anyway. It's got far better mechanical properties than CA, especially shear strength. You can still use CA to tack parts together while the epoxy cures.

I have heard that some contact adhesives also work for a really strong bond. These are the ones where you apply a thin coat to both surfaces, leave them until touch-dry and the bring together and press firmly. Not tried it myself,though.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about PVC pipe cement used in plumbing? I’ve always said I would try it of I built a vinyl kit.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I'm a big 5 min epoxy user. I just never tried it on a vinyl kit. Anyone ever try "vinyl glue"? Like, the stuff you can buy at TAP Plastics. If its vinyl glue, it should work on the vinyl kits too....shouldn't it?

Like this one: https://www.grainger.com/product/45RF99 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Wug

Post by Wug »

I used "2 Ton" epoxy on my only vinyl model. I like it better than CA or 5 minute epoxy. Decades ago one of the old time model supply companies, maybe Floquil or Pactra, sold tubes of a solvent vinyl cement. If you want to try plumbers vinyl cement test it on scrap before using it on anything you care about. The solvent cement will be much more toxic than CA or epoxy.

Mike
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I might try the vinyl glue on some trimmed off scrap to see what it does. Like, if it melts the begeeses out of it, sticks it together or does nothing? I think it should work. Vinyl kits are made of PVC vinyl, so...if the glue is made for PVC vinyl, it should work without attacking it and it should make for an extremely strong bond. Even a "flexible bond" if it is chemically biding the two surfaces together instead of just a mechanical bond, but I do like the 5 min. epoxy. I'd rather saver the super glue for small parts or to "fill in" bubbles and maybe some seam work. I've not used any bondo or filler putty on a vinyl kit before either. I think Apoxie Sculpt might be better?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

jpolacchi wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:30 pm I might try the vinyl glue on some trimmed off scrap to see what it does. Like, if it melts the begeeses out of it, sticks it together or does nothing? I think it should work. Vinyl kits are made of PVC vinyl, so...if the glue is made for PVC vinyl, it should work without attacking it and it should make for an extremely strong bond. Even a "flexible bond" if it is chemically biding the two surfaces together instead of just a mechanical bond, but I do like the 5 min. epoxy. I'd rather saver the super glue for small parts or to "fill in" bubbles and maybe some seam work. I've not used any bondo or filler putty on a vinyl kit before either. I think Apoxie Sculpt might be better?
I think you'll find the white vinyl glue doesn't do anything. The vinyl in it is just a binder and the solvents won't actually do anything to the vinyl of the model. Of course, I could be wrong so it would still be worth a test.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

The stuff I'm either going to try will be a TAP Plastics brand or there is the vinyl adhesive on the Grainger web site to the link I posted above(clear adhesive).I should also think that TAP be able to tell me if at least their brand would work or not on PVC vinyl.However, I'm certain they may say "yes"(because they want to make a sake), but i will also be told to experiment on a piece of scrap anyway.