Which glue for old Lindberg kit "Visible Human Body"

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

elend

Which glue for old Lindberg kit "Visible Human Body"

Post by elend »

I have this "Visible Human Body" kit by Lindberg and just had a closer look at it. The plastic is very soft and feels kinda waxy. Tamiya cement won't do a thing and even superglue struggled holding two parts together.

Which glue is recommended for this kind of plastic and / or what kind of plastic is that?
seam-filler

Re: Which glue for old Lindberg kit "Visible Human Body"

Post by seam-filler »

I don't know specifically about this one, but I built the Visible Horse as a commission (a veterinarian) and had the same problem. I suspect that it is one of the softer ABS formulations.

5-minute epoxy worked well enough for the assemblies that needed some strength, but for the majority I used Plastruct Plastic Weld.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
elend

Post by elend »

Hmm, I see Plastruct has quite a selection of different glues for different plastics. Unfortunately it seems I can't get these over here in europe / Germany. Thanks, I will try to get something similar.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Look for the cement used for acrylic/plexiglas/perspex. Make sure methylene chloride is one of the ingredients. It's a fun kit to build and paint.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
elend

Post by elend »

Oh big thanks for the tip!
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Its not just the cement. I think you need to "wash the kit parts". That "waxy feel" to the plastic is probably mold release. Strong mold releases are used in injection molds. Get a dish washing tub, fill it with warm warm water and dish washing detergent(not scalding hot, you'll warp the parts) an old tooth brush(run it through your dish washer first to clean/sanitize it) and dunk your kit parts in the tub(let them soak) and "scrub them" with the tooth brush and rinse them really good. If need be, soak the parts and scrub them again.. You should be able to polish out any minor scratches if you leave any on the clear parts later on. I don't think its the plastic. Styrene is styrene, but I suppose different companies may have had "blends" of styrene used for their kits that may have either "some or more ABS added to it or acrylic"? I'm not sure? I don't know if they did that or really what other plastics they may have used? I was guessing.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

jpolacchi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:25 pmI don't think its the plastic. Styrene is styrene, but I suppose different companies may have had "blends" of styrene used for their kits that may have either "some or more ABS added to it or acrylic"? I'm not sure? I don't know if they did that or really what other plastics they may have used? I was guessing.
To be clear, the "squishy bits" of the human body are represented by some kind of squishy plastic in the kit. I always thought it was some type of vinyl but I confess that I haven't built mine and haven't had it out in awhile. I'm not sure what else it could be though. :-k
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I built that (mumblety-mumble) decades ago as a kid. Back then it was Testors tube glue all the way. Seemed to work fine. Also did their heart and the eye. Kind of glad I can't see what a hash I made of those kits! They are all long, long gone.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

That could be "vinyl" or a type of vinyl?ABS can be squishy if it is "hollow", but still have a glossy look/feel regardless. Shouldn't matter if it is ABS,vinyl or STYRENE. Super glue would work on any three of those plastics. Maybe contact the Lindenberg company and ask them what plastic it is? It still doesn't hurt to wash the kit parts thoroughly. I have an OLD version of that kit. So old the box was almost totally desintegrated. All styrene. The clear part has yellowed slightly due to age. If the cadaver were a smoker I wouldn't have to paint it.