Alternative to soldering wires for lighting

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

ulvdemon

Alternative to soldering wires for lighting

Post by ulvdemon »

I was wondering if there is an alternative to soldering wires when lighting a model? I've seen that there are wire connectors (T shape) and wondered if this a viable option or waste?
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
Tracy White

Re: Alternative to soldering wires for lighting

Post by Tracy White »

It can depend on the component / product, but the original Madman lighting sets had instructions that had a technique for twisting wire together. I never bought a set and can't find a copy of an instructions but my recollection was that one would stirp a length of wire (say an inch) and then form an L sape with each end so that if you laid them out the shielded wire ran right up to each other and the stripped wire portions stuck out perpendicular and next to each other. These pieces one would twist together the length of the stripped wire, and then fold over about half-way down to help lock in the twist and provide more contact area, etc.

This doesn't help with terminal blocks, etc, but if you are using standard LED with the metal legs you could also wrap the cable around the leg and maybe bend the last couple of MMs with some pliers so that the wrapping can't slide off. There are tools one can buy for wrapping as well.

There are also videos on youtube for wire wrapping that may help (random sampling, I don't know of "the best" clip):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvEDM-m9CE
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Have you thought about the shrink wrap tubes that have low temp solder in them? Like these?

They can work with just a lighter. The tube shrinks, the solder melts, boom - waterproof soldered join. The ones above are just an example, I'm sure with a bit of looking you can find a set of the size and amount you need.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

There's nothing scary about soldering ! Practice on a few scraps, make sure the the wires are hot enough for the solder to flow as soon as it touches the wires and you are good to go. Here is the old reliable Western Union splice which can work cold:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Union_splice
Directly above the center of the Earth.
cappy

Post by cappy »

There is Electrically conductive epoxy

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/813 ... L1500_.jpg
Don't worry I got an idea!
An idea so smart, that my head would explode,
if I even began to know what I was talking about.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Not many alternatives to soldering....there's a couple in here I didn't know about. You can intertwine/twist the wire ends together(strip the ends about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, make sure they are super clean), like a "physical bond" but it may not be as strong as soldering or using a metal/electrical conductive epoxy. Then of course there is the "plug ins". Look up some tutorials on YOUTUBE.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Never used it with a commissioned build but I had success for many years just wrapping the two wires together, not elegant but there is no stress on them inside the model.
In around 40 lighted models I only had two have any sort of issue and those only lost one of the lights...
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Mr. E Man

Post by Mr. E Man »

Terminal block?

E
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Mr. E Man wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 pm Terminal block?
Micro crimp joint connectors?
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Get a decent soldering iron. That fixed 99% of the soldering issues I used to have. Temperature control makes a world of difference.
Abolish Alliteration
ulvdemon

Post by ulvdemon »

I have a pretty good soldering iron. Just recall awhile ago that I saw a video on using t shape style connectors for connecting wires without soldering. As with all things, I can no longer find the video/article. So I figured that some of the people on here who do more lighting work then I do may know what I was trying to find.
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato