Decal Paper

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Patrick46

Decal Paper

Post by Patrick46 »

Can anyone recommend a good water slide decal paper for laser printing?
DaveVan

Re: Decal Paper

Post by DaveVan »

That question is kinda like 'how much to cut down a tree??'
Not being a PIA but things changed a few years ago. A woman was able to apply and get a patent on decal paper. Decals have been around since the 1800's but she somehow got it.
She then shutdown every supplier in the USA unless they paid up. My paper supplier for 20 years closed doors overnight w/o notice. It took me 3 different papers to find one that worked well enough for me....I am a manufacture of model car decals. Then my printer died and the paper I had jammed in the new printer. Same process over again. It took 3 more offshore suppliers to find paper that worked and I liked.
So if I tell you one brand and it does not work....you are not happy. It depends on your printer, how it's working, how much paper your are willing to buy etc....
There is a paper supplier on amazon that worked OK but was too glossy for my liking. He sells as little as 10 sheets....so maybe worth the risk??
Thx
elend

Post by elend »

Is there actual decal sheet paper for laser printers?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

This is my preferred supplier https://www.papilio.com/
Abolish Alliteration
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

elend wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:27 pm Is there actual decal sheet paper for laser printers?
Yes, meant to handle the high temp fusing. Inkjet decal paper is made to be semi-porous to accept the ink.
Abolish Alliteration
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

I got some water slide paper from Sunnyscopa on Amazon, (thin film, clear) which printed nicely , however it was a bit thick. The company, based in South Korea, makes a thinner sheet (half the thickness) but I would have to order from them directly since Amazon doesn't carry it, which might take months to receive.

DaveVan, what is that amazon supplier? 10 sheets is good for me.

Kylweel, thanks for the link
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Kylwell, do you use the regular clear or the blue base clear paper?
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Sunnyscopa Waterslide Decal Paper for LASER Printer - CLEAR, US LETTER SIZE 8.5"X11", 10 SHEETS,

It worked OK but I thought it was to thick and glossy for my work.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Patrick46 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:23 pm Kylwell, do you use the regular clear or the blue base clear paper?
Depends on what I'm printing.
Abolish Alliteration
Patrick46

Post by Patrick46 »

Kylwell,
Does the film behave the same for the white and blue paper? Regarding thickness, adhesion, reaction to Microset/Microsol, etc. I don't need to print white. But I'll go with the blue if the film is better.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Micro Mark also sells good decal paper. Their white is for ink jet and blue is for laser printers, for what it's worth:

https://www.micromark.com/hobby-supplies/decaling
"What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime to deserve such a fate" - The amazing colosal man