Dr Mikes, Mercury, or Flexy?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

amrogers3

Dr Mikes, Mercury, or Flexy?

Post by amrogers3 »

Putting together Forgeworld resin models and looking for a good grade of CA glue, not that cheap rebottled stuff you can find in all the hobby stores.

Anyone used Dr Mikes, Mercury Adhesives, or Flexy?

I've heard Dr Mikes stuff has been around for years. Does anyone have experience with these brands of CA glue?
Andrew Gorman

Re: Dr Mikes, Mercury, or Flexy?

Post by Andrew Gorman »

The stuff in hobby stores is way better than what I find at the dollar store. I've heard Gorilla is good, Loctite seems to work better but goes bad in a week, but I have never used a full container of CA before it goes bad.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mercury Adhesives is, quite frankly, amazing. Their triple seal tech keeps the crusties away and the plastic they use isn't gas permeable. It's what I use when I can remember to order it.

And yes, I've emptied a bottle of Mercury. Shocked me when I realized the reason I wasn't getting glue out of it was not because of it turning to tar or the nozzle clogging but because there was no more glue.
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I'll have to try that stuff! Using up a whole bottle of CA is something I have never done.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
amrogers3

Post by amrogers3 »

Kylwell wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:21 am
And yes, I've emptied a bottle of Mercury. Shocked me when I realized the reason I wasn't getting glue out of it was not because of it turning to tar or the nozzle clogging but because there was no more glue.
I have to agree with you here. I just finished a bottle of Mercury and I've never been able to use a whole bottle of any super glue without it turning solid or clogging up the nozzle to the point where you can no longer use it. That rebranded Bob's or whatever it is called you can find in any hobby store is crap. I'll probably go back to the Mercury if there are no recommendations for anything better.

Mercury is the only one I have used out of the three I listed. I think Mike's used by the IMPS community. I don't know anything about Flexy.

I need a thicker solution for gap filling and a thinner for joining parts that are flush. Both for resin.