Acrylic Paint Removal

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Acrylic Paint Removal

Post by Tchail »

I just painted some styrene model parts with Tamiya Acrylic paint, but I’ve decided that the color is too dark, so I’d like to strip and repaint.

What would be the best way of removing the paint?

Any insight would be appreciated!
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
southwestforests

Re: Acrylic Paint Removal

Post by southwestforests »

A couple things from my experience using Tamiya acrylics since the became available in Virginia in mid 1980s.
Good ol' common rubbing alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, makes an excellent remover for styrene or ABS plastic, or metal, parts.
Paint will rinse right off after soaking 15 to 30 minutes, usually.
Related Notes:
I'm certain of remembering reading several places through the decades that acrylic plastic and alcohol don't mix happily.
And since that same time in 1980s I have used several plastic-safe paint removers sold by a couple different model railroad paint companies: they work fine and well on styrene, metal, BUT ... they will dissolve resin parts in to blobs of jelly or even in to nothingness
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Thanks for the tips!

:D
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

If you used light coats of paint to start with you should be fine spraying a new color over the old one.

If not I know ammonia will take it off. Just do it outside as it smells.

I have used Easy Off oven cleaner to remove enamel but not sure if it works on acrylic.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

What I usually do is dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and rub away on the plastic piece, but be warned the cotton swab gets old paint on it very fast plus you'll need to use several swabs.
Normal?? What is normal??
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

For anyone in the UK - Fairy Power Spray is great at removing even the oldest acrylic paint & is completely safe on styrene, ABS, polycarbonates, PVC, acrylic and resin. I don't know the US equivalent, but the active ingredient that does the actual stripping is phenoxyethanol. There are loads of You Tube videos on the subject.

Another product I've been recommended (but not tried) is Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant. This chemical that does the stripping is chloroxylenol.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

I can highly recommend foamed oven spray cleaner. It works with soda, and the stuff creeps under ANYTHING without damaging the styrene. A bath under a foam coat might take a week, but it's very effective, esp. when the paint is still relatively fresh.

A real killer method is a bath in brake fluid, but that's a messy and VERY aggressive affair that also affects the underlying plastic. Desperate measure!
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Windex, preferably with ammonia.
Abolish Alliteration
amrogers3

Post by amrogers3 »

LA AWESOME is really really really good at stripping acrylic. I used several strippers and this has been the best by far.

and it is available at the dollar store!