Getting rid of the undercoat on chromed parts?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Getting rid of the undercoat on chromed parts?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

So, I have a stack of car parts I got in a massive box some rando left at the model store several months ago. I've gotten the rest of the parts cut from the sprues and sorted, and I'd like to do the same for these. But I've had poor success in the past with stripping the chrome of chromed parts. I can get the chrome itself off with Easy Off, but the underlying coating always proves too stubborn. What works best to attack this stuff without damaging the plastic?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Andrew Gorman

Re: Getting rid of the undercoat on chromed parts?

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Easy off for me usually loosens up the yellowish layer enough for me, but maybe a rubdown with a white Scotchbrite pad will get rid of the clingy remains.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I always use ScaleCoat paint remover, available from model railroad sources.
geck

Post by geck »

You can use bleach to remove the chrome. It will completely strip it from the plastic leaving on a shiny and very sanitary part left behind.

Just immerse the part in the bleach and be amazed as it just disappears before your eyes. As long as this is not a vinyl part...you should be good...it won't attack styrene.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Superclean
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

That clear/yellow undercoat is a lacquer coating and VERY labor intensive to remove....if you can. Depends on the era/age of the chrome parts.....some undercoat I never get off.......the model car guys (me) fight this all the time! Good luck.
MillenniumFalsehood

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'll try bleach. I have been having success with Easy Off, but it hasn't been that good at getting rid of the lacquer undercoat on its own for some of these parts, AMT parts, in particular... some of these parts like the grilles and hubcaps are really stubborn with those deep parts that collect the lacquer and have some REALLY thick chunks left behind. At least it's coming off, slowly but surely.

DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I have found the cheaper the bleach the better.......seems more harsh!!! Dollar store stuff!
MillenniumFalsehood

Ooooh, good to know! I looked at Reddit alongside asking here, and some people have suggested soaking in alcohol for 2 hours to get rid of the lacquer. Is that very effective in your experience?

DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

91-92% will work on some types lacquer (synthetic) but trial and error.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Coca Cola. It might not work as quickly, but it is gentler on the plastic than bleach.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Looking at those,
Rocketeer wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:32 amI always use ScaleCoat paint remover, available from model railroad sources.
DaveVan wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:45 amThat clear/yellow undercoat is a lacquer coating and VERY labor intensive to remove....if you can. Depends on the era/age of the chrome parts.....some undercoat I never get off.......the model car guys (me) fight this all the time! Good luck.
brings to mind this is what the ScaleCoat Wash Away paint remover did for me last year on MPC's Pilgrim Observer,

"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
southwestforests

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pmCoca Cola. It might not work as quickly, but it is gentler on the plastic than bleach.
It has worked for me though it had to sit long enough for the Coke to begin getting moldy.
So, might want to refresh the Coke after several days.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

It's not clear to me why anyone would mess around with improvised and less than satisfactory solutions like brake fluid, bleach, or Coke, when the ScaleCoat stuff is reasonably priced, does a better job, and is readily available from trustworthy sources like Walthers.
southwestforests

Rocketeer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 amIt's not clear to me why anyone would mess around with improvised and less than satisfactory solutions like brake fluid, bleach, or Coke, when the ScaleCoat stuff is reasonably priced, does a better job, and is readily available from trustworthy sources like Walthers.
Some of it might be an effect of generalized 'compartmentalization' of hobbies.
As in, "I build this, "Those People" do that other thing."
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Wug wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 amSuperclean
What he said. Castrol Superclean Degreaser. It's strong enough to get rid of that yellow undercoat that Tamiya chrome parts have.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
naoto

Post by naoto »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm Coca Cola. It might not work as quickly, but it is gentler on the plastic than bleach.
I suppose Sprite might be so effective in this task?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfbRs_qEYVw
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
MillenniumFalsehood

Bleach seemed to work really well, until I discovered that it left a white residue which is being very stubborn. The Clorox website suggests using vinegar to get rid of it, but so far after several days of soaking the vinegar hasn't touched it. Whenever I scrub on them, it makes the parts want to fall off, so I'd like a solution to get rid of the residue that will dissolve it without ruining the parts. I have tried using Easy-off to get rid of it, but that didn't touch it, either.

seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I haven't tried this on a model yet, but a recent accident led to a table top being completely stripped of all trace of varnish - the table is over 40 years old so had tons of polish and patina on top of the commercial varnish. Now it is bare wood.

The spilt liquid happened to be menthol crystals dissolved in hot water - and not a particularly strong solution at that. As I said, I've not tested it on models yet, but I don't imagine that such a weak solution would harm the plastic at all (although I'd let it cool before using it).
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
MillenniumFalsehood

The varnish has disappeared. What I need to get rid of now is the residue left over from the crappy bleach I soaked the parts in for a week. :/

naoto

Post by naoto »

Hrm... :-k I wonder having this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CWfSLyjx8pa
played in the background may help?
Perhaps the sound waves may provide a bit of agitation of the solution that may help to "stir things up" as well as loose and perhaps dislodge the bits that get stuck...
Perhaps we may even experiment with different genres of music and see which ones may be more effective?
* hip-hop
* house
* electronica
* disco
* heavy metal
etc.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

naoto wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:49 pm Hrm... :-k I wonder having this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CWfSLyjx8pa
played in the background may help?
Perhaps the sound waves may provide a bit of agitation of the solution that may help to "stir things up" as well as loose and perhaps dislodge the bits that get stuck...
Perhaps we may even experiment with different genres of music and see which ones may be more effective?
* hip-hop
* house
* electronica
* disco
* heavy metal
etc.
:) But seriously, you could try an ultrasonic cleaner.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
MillenniumFalsehood

Yeah, I should probably try that. XD I just need to get one!

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:31 pm The varnish has disappeared. What I need to get rid of now is the residue left over from the crappy bleach I soaked the parts in for a week. :/
Perhaps a mild acid, like white vinegar?
MillenniumFalsehood

Rocketeer wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:07 pmPerhaps a mild acid, like white vinegar?
MillenniumFalsehood wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:58 pm Bleach seemed to work really well, until I discovered that it left a white residue which is being very stubborn. The Clorox website suggests using vinegar to get rid of it, but so far after several days of soaking the vinegar hasn't touched it. Whenever I scrub on them, it makes the parts want to fall off, so I'd like a solution to get rid of the residue that will dissolve it without ruining the parts. I have tried using Easy-off to get rid of it, but that didn't touch it, either.

Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:34 am
Rocketeer wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:07 pmPerhaps a mild acid, like white vinegar?
MillenniumFalsehood wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:58 pm Bleach seemed to work really well, until I discovered that it left a white residue which is being very stubborn. The Clorox website suggests using vinegar to get rid of it, but so far after several days of soaking the vinegar hasn't touched it. Whenever I scrub on them, it makes the parts want to fall off, so I'd like a solution to get rid of the residue that will dissolve it without ruining the parts. I have tried using Easy-off to get rid of it, but that didn't touch it, either.
I'm obviously not reading the thread closely enough. :oops:
MillenniumFalsehood

Rocketeer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:34 pmI'm obviously not reading the thread closely enough. :oops:
No worries, I do that, too! :P