Vallejo "Shifter" colours aka Space Dust

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Pod1610

Vallejo "Shifter" colours aka Space Dust

Post by Pod1610 »

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the above, and if so any guidance on the way to get best results?
Its a hobby... if it stops being fun.... you're doing it wrong! :sw4: :sw5: :sw3:
jpolacchi

Re: Vallejo "Shifter" colours aka Space Dust

Post by jpolacchi »

Do you mean...like "flip/flop", Chameleon or iridescent colors?I didn't know Vallejo made them?I think the way those work depends on "the base" you spray them on?I am not an authority on using them,hopefully someone else can help answer your question?
Pod1610

Post by Pod1610 »

Yes, the iridescent types... They do a range of about 18, boxed up in different combinations such as Space Dust, Galaxy Dust and Magic Dust. I picked up a set at a local gaming store yesterday for a good price, perfect for my planned Roswell UFO. On the basis of my experience to date with Vallejo, they should give a nice result once I've mastered any foibles they might have. I think a bit of experimentation is called for.
Its a hobby... if it stops being fun.... you're doing it wrong! :sw4: :sw5: :sw3:
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Hmm...I'll have to take a look.I am not totally familiar with Vallejo's line of paints.I only know of the ones I see at the hobby shop I go to,and right now their shelves are pretty empty.If memory serves,you really get "the best *POP*" from iridescent and pearlescent paints by painting over a "black base",but I don't know if that is true for "all colors"?Some may benefit more from a white base?I am not sure?
naoto

Post by naoto »

Going off on a tangent here...
I do rather enjoy watching Ms. Kino Kōsaka's channel --- in this video she tries some experiments with iridescent and metallic powders for nails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpkzEjsJYV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMamx03Bszk
Okay -- it might not help if you don't understand Japanese... On the upside she's definitely easy on the eyes IMHO
BTW in these videos she does mention that the effect from these powders does appear to be affected by underlying colours to which they are applied.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Easy on the eyes for sure,but I don't understand a word she is saying other than watching what she is doing.