Pearl or Iridescent finishes to scale

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

GMancusa

Pearl or Iridescent finishes to scale

Post by GMancusa »

Hello

Please forgive my ignorance, I have tried searches and I am not able to connect with anyone who has had experience with pearls. I've experimented in the past with automotive pearls, iridescent blue, silver, gold and find that the pigments/particles are to large and do not fit the scale (1:350 PL Enterprise). They appear grainy. I've also found many online pics of the same model that also demonstrate the same grainy looking finish. Looking for recommendations for pearl finishes that may be much more fine and better fit fine scale models? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

GMan
DaveVan

Re: Pearl or Iridescent finishes to scale

Post by DaveVan »

Tamiya has a spray can transparent pearl that is used over any color. It's a very scale look.
dadilius

Post by dadilius »

From a quick search I found that people seem to use these paints:

https://www.mckenziesp.com/1-Ounce-C5689.aspx

They have them in acrylic as well on that site as well. I have no experience with them as my Refit is still sitting in its massive box. Also, check out the video series below. I can’t say if he mentions the paint brand as I haven’t watched them in a few years, but it does walk you through the 5 color painting.

https://youtu.be/vH9FSOD7RRY

Hope that helps.
Brett M
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The finest I've found aren't actually paints. They're pigments from Armored Komodo. Gorgeous finish. USA Gundam Store is where you can get them in the US. https://www.usagundamstore.com/collecti ... red-komodo

They are something of a pain to apply as you have to use a specific primer.

The next best are the Mr Color crystal colors. They have a grain to them but they're the finest I've come across. Even the Alclad II colors have a larger flake.
Abolish Alliteration
Jedi Dade

Post by Jedi Dade »

Go to youtube and lookup Trek Works he did a build series on the 350 refit... here is one of the eps where he's doing the azteking... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCXARLeZBBM

He has a pretty through how to paint your refit using those exact paints on his channel. Be warned its a TON of work...

There is also a gentleman (Captain Han Solo) over on the RPF documenting his build with these paints...
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/1 ... ld.305705/

Hope that helps you...

Jedi Dade
GMancusa

Post by GMancusa »

Thank you to all for the replies and references, I have seen and studied them all in my research. Boyd at Trekworks recommends the Polytranspar which is my leading pick right now. I'd like to try the Jacquard Pearl-Ex Pigment but Mask Design reported not having good luck with dry pigments, they recommend the Daler-rowney Fw Pearlescent Acrylic Inks. The Armored Komodo pigments look interesting, thank you Kylwell I'll look into them. I guess I was hoping for anyone who has already gone through the laborious task of testing and comparing first hand. If not, I will most likely go through testing all your suggestions and report back my findings if anyone is interested.

Thanks again!

GMan
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

This seems like something that should be somehow moved to finishing where it would be more permanent. Is that possible?
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I've had very good results with Createx Wicked Colors (not ordinary Createx, but specifically the Wicked Colors line). I used their pearl yellow for this:

jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Pearl-EX pigment powders added to a clear coat medium and they pretty much have every pearl pigment needed to do a "pro job" on the enterprise.Check out the work Simon Mercs does.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

DaveVan wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:38 am Tamiya has a spray can transparent pearl that is used over any color. It's a very scale look.
Second and recommend that. It has very fine pigments. For a figure project I experimented with several pearl options, and found the Tamiya stuff to be the most convincing. It also adapts well to the underground color - but I'd try it first before you use it on the "real thing".
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Never mind...got done
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Concerning Tamiya Pearl White spray can or 10ml bottle lacquer, anybody ever experienced "yellowing" over time like white enamel do?