Stripping "chrome" off model pieces

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TIEbomber1967

Stripping "chrome" off model pieces

Post by TIEbomber1967 »

Currently I'm trying to strip the "chrome" off an old AMT 1:2500 Enterprise-D. The pieces have been sitting in bleach for a few hours now, and I'm not seeing much progress. The bleach is fresh, bought it just after Christmas. Is this a relatively quick process, or should I expect it to take days?
Thanks in advance for any hints you may have.
southwestforests

Re: Stripping "chrome" off model pieces

Post by southwestforests »

This from the model train paint suppliers takes chrome off in less than an afternoon, often in less than 30 minutes.
Is what I used to de-chrome the Pilgrim Observer parts this past summer.

"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

FIRE
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Got any Easy Off oven cleaner? That works pretty fast and doesn’t eat the plastic. Use gloves, etc.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I use cheap bleach as I can find....seems stronger. ($1 gallon) I put parts in a container that seals and shake it as often as I can. Takes 2 days or so for most.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

TIEbomber1967 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 pm Currently I'm trying to strip the "chrome" off an old AMT 1:2500 Enterprise-D. The pieces have been sitting in bleach for a few hours now, and I'm not seeing much progress. The bleach is fresh, bought it just after Christmas. Is this a relatively quick process, or should I expect it to take days?
Thanks in advance for any hints you may have.
What brand of bleach?? I went to strip some chrome of a parts tree using the store brand and it took way too long so I went and bought a jug that cost twice as much and the chrome was gone in about FIVE MINUTES!!! Plus they were both store brands one being a bit more expensive. It could also be the chrome is old on your model.
Normal?? What is normal??
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Easy Off works just fine.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
naoto

Post by naoto »

the recommended background music for the task?
https://youtu.be/Y2CWfSLyjx8
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

naoto wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 am the recommended background music for the task?
https://youtu.be/Y2CWfSLyjx8
"Like" button pressed (repeatedly!).
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

southwestforests wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:31 pm This from the model train paint suppliers takes chrome off in less than an afternoon, often in less than 30 minutes.
Is what I used to de-chrome the Pilgrim Observer parts this past summer.

Agree totally. ScaleCoat is da bomb.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Castrol Super Clean. Not as smelly as Easy-Off, but you still should use ventilation.

TazMan2000
ronwojnar

Post by ronwojnar »

Another vote for ScaleCoat!
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

TazMan2000 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:19 pm Castrol Super Clean. Not as smelly as Easy-Off, but you still should use ventilation.
And gloves. CSC will dry out your hands unprotected.

CSC was the only stripper I used that made a dent on Tamiya chrome plating. (Motorcycle kits, 1/48 MiG-15) Stripped both the plating and the yellow lacquer undercoat too.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I wish I knew about the Scalecoat. Several years ago I had to strip some chrome parts and I used the old standby Brake fluid. I had to soak the parts for over a week and then had to dig off pieces with a stiff brush and toothpick.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
TIEbomber1967

Post by TIEbomber1967 »

Thanks for all the replies you guys.
After 2 days I'm seeing some small amount of progress, so perhaps I'll leave it in there (since the bleach is already "used"). I'm using Clorox, the only kind I could find at Costco Business Center. Is there a better bleach? And how can you tell? And yeah the chrome on this kit is old, should that make any difference?
I'm taking notes on these suggestions though, cuz' I don't think I want to wait this long next time I need something de-chromed.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Try the cheap bleach...like I said in my post....seems harsher than the 'good' stuff....$1 gallon stuff.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Super Clean
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The bleach I tried was purchased at a Fred Meyer store which was bought out by Kroger about 20 years ago and it cost .99 cents and then I went with the store brand at twice as much and they were both store brands. as for which works best it'**** and miss .
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I heard somewhere that bleach strips it off too.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Went and bought a kit by Salvonos model last week and Monday put the chrome tree into a container of bleach for a couple of days and when I took it out very little chrome was gone and had turned into a green powdery substance and the bare spots of plastic had started to turn black. Is this normal when removing chrome??
Natsu-Rokka

Post by Natsu-Rokka »

I have a gallon jug of Purple Power, and it is effective in removing both the chrome plating and the yellow gooey lacquer undercoat. I recently tossed the chrome sprues from a Revell car kit into a container with PP and left it for 24 hours. When I came back to it, the lacquer was streaming off the sprue like ribbons of snot!

Bleach and oven cleaner have never worked for me in removing the lacquer layer. Easy Lift Off (ELO) worked too, but was a lot slower and didn't fully dissolve the lacquer.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

irishtrek wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:35 pm Went and bought a kit by Salvonos model last week and Monday put the chrome tree into a container of bleach for a couple of days and when I took it out very little chrome was gone and had turned into a green powdery substance and the bare spots of plastic had started to turn black. Is this normal when removing chrome??
Salvinos uses REAL metal chrome and not aluminum vac plate like most model kits. No one has stripped it completely.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

DaveVan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 pm
irishtrek wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:35 pm Went and bought a kit by Salvonos model last week and Monday put the chrome tree into a container of bleach for a couple of days and when I took it out very little chrome was gone and had turned into a green powdery substance and the bare spots of plastic had started to turn black. Is this normal when removing chrome??
Salvinos uses REAL metal chrome and not aluminum vac plate like most model kits. No one has stripped it completely.
That explains why it's a tad cold to the touch and why it feels a bit heavy. Put the tree back in bleach a few hours ago and the bleach is turning black.