Clear parts..tint first, then apply Future?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ronwojnar

Clear parts..tint first, then apply Future?

Post by ronwojnar »

Working on the Moebius Dark knight Tumbler, and want to paint the windows with Tamiya X-15 Smoke. However, I want to try using Future Floor Wax/Polish to "smooth out" the distortion inherent in clear parts. So, do I apply Future/Smoke/Future? Or is it just Smoke/Future?
EVApodman

Re: Clear parts..tint first, then apply Future?

Post by EVApodman »

Future applies like water and I believe that any acrylic based paint would mix with it for a tint effect.

If the paints are enamel or lacquer then I would apply them first and then Future over the paint to get a shiny effect.

The main thing to remember is to apply tints in light coats. Like everything else in this hobby we tend to over do things.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Although the Tamiya smoke (or any of their clear colours) will mix with Future, it will inhibit it's self-levelling capability a tiny bit. I've had best results by applying the tint first. As EVAPodman says - it's easy to overdo tinting, so doing this first gives you the opportunity to strip & redo if you get it wrong.

But to be perfectly honest, the difference in results is virtually unnoticeable whichever way you do it.
Last edited by seam-filler on Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
ronwojnar

Post by ronwojnar »

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll give it a go, and let you know what I end up with!
ronwojnar

Post by ronwojnar »

I tried a a couple of variations. First up was mixing Tamiya Smoke and Future and airbrushing. I got nice coverage, but the tint was too light, for my taste. Also, the smoke tended to gum up at the bottom of a sealed mixing jar, leaving reapplication out of the question. Onto stripping with my trusty ScaleCoat II Wash Away Paint Remover.

Next, I tried Tamiya Smoke from the rattle can, followed by a dip in Future after allowing adequate cure time. I got the tint I was looking for, but I could never get all the excess off, in spite of a lot shaking and multiple attempts at wicking with paper towel. Again into the ScaleCoat II.

Finally, and while the rattle can Smoke was curing, I came across a YouTube video of a guy simply squirting Future directly onto a part, and catching the excess is a container. And behold, that worked perfectly. I got the tint I wanted, and the smoothness and clarity that the Future brings.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArM0NZqaftHAislQNKra1ON5Pbw8rA

Thanks again!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Thanks for relating the results of your experiments. :thumbsup:
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson