Draining a spray can?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Draining a spray can?

Post by DeltaVee »

I want to drain a spray can so I can spray it through my airbrush. Wouldn't one of those little plastic tubes that inserts in the nozzle - like on WD30 etc - do the trick? Where can you find those tubes? Other ideas? And I don't like the seal it in a bag and puncture it option.
Andrew Gorman

Re: Draining a spray can?

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I hold them upside down and bleed off the pressure. Every little bit of pressure loss helps if you are spraying the paint into another container. WD-40 straws only fit WD-40 nozzles which may or may not fit your paint can, If you bleed off ALL of the pressure- there will be no more hissing and the can will feel soft- just open it up with a church key can opener and decant away. Be sure to save the marble inside. I'd recommend old clothes, safety spex and do it outside the first few times you try it.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. That makes sense and sounds semi-safe. :)
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

If you have any spare pippets around, this might be the way to go:

http://www.delbertsscalemodels.com/spra ... -decanting
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

I will spray into a brass pipe or straw into a bottle only what I need to airbrush. Spray slowly as the propellant can make the paint in the bottle splash up. This way the remaining paint stays sealed in the can until next needed.

When I get no more propellant out the spray can I will use a can opener (the ones that make the triangle cutout) and pierce the bottom of the can slowly to let out any remaining propellant before opening it all the way to get out any remaining paint.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I've used plastic bendy straws and glass Boston Round bottles to drain aerosol cans. I cap the bottle with Press and Seal wrap- make a big hole for the straw, and a few tiny holes for gas venting (keeps the potential mess down)

I then leave them capped (but not sealed) so they can outgas for several days. Then close them up. If properly sealed, they'll keep forever and the pigments will never settle like bottled paint.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

Many videos on youtube on how to decant a spray can. Look for one from Brett Green the guy who runs Hyperscale.
Max Bryant
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Oddly enough I've found Yakult bottles are great for decanting. The narrowed neck keeps the stuff from foaming over.
Abolish Alliteration