23rd Century Phaser with 21st Century Problem

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

SpaceRanger1

23rd Century Phaser with 21st Century Problem

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

I own a Diamond Select/Art Asylum Star Trek "40th Anniversary Phaser Pistol," bought shortly after it was released. It worked perfectly. But not having a place to display it, I put it back in its original box and stored it away in a closet. Upon recently moving to a new house, I unboxed it (saving the box!) to display it proudly in my new office/"man cave." It didn't work. Okay, I thought, it probably needs new batteries after such a long time in storage.

In case you are not familiar with this item, it uses three (3) LR44 "button cells," which are in the removable Type 1 mini hand phaser. So I removed the Type 1 phaser from the pistol grip and opened the battery compartment to remove the three button cells.

Surprise Number 1: The button cells were in their little individual chambers within the compartment so tightly that I could not get them out. I had to enlist the aid of my yeoman (my wife), whose long fingernails were able to pry them loose. They tested bad or borderline, just as I expected. They went into the trash.

Surprise Number 2: When I inserted new LR44 button cells into the battery compartment, they rattled around so loosely that they couldn't make contact! I attempted to bend the contact strips in the battery compartment to try to improve their contact, but to no avail.

What gives here? I understand batteries can expand, but the old LR44s showed no sign, and there was no leakage or corrosion on them. The contacts in the compartment are also clean and shiny. Have button cells decreased in size over the last few years and we weren't told about it?

I am perplexed.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Andrew Gorman

Re: 23rd Century Phaser with 21st Century Problem

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Double check the ID and dimensions on the original batteries against the LR 44 specs, and the holders. There are a lot of very similar batteries out there and a lot are mislabeled. Should be close enough...AND DO NOT THROW THEM IN THE TRASH. One of those things will kill a baby. Unpleasant stuff inside that is somewhat worth recycling.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
naoto

Post by naoto »

Andrew Gorman wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 pm Double check the ID and dimensions on the original batteries against the LR 44 specs, and the holders. There are a lot of very similar batteries out there and a lot are mislabeled. Should be close enough...AND DO NOT THROW THEM IN THE TRASH. One of those things will kill a baby. Unpleasant stuff inside that is somewhat worth recycling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... line_cells
Note how the SR42, SR43 (aka LR43) and SR44 (aka LR44) are same diameter but different height.
I'd come across situation before where gadget was using LR-43 (instead of the LR-44 that I'd assumed), and didn't realize it until I'd tried to fit replacements and they didn't fit (and I knew better than force it). Upon closer examination of the old and new battery, I'd noticed the slight difference in height, and needed to use magnifying glass to verify the type.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

A "44" means it should be 5.4mm in diameter. There are a dizzying array of diameters & heights. And composition & amperage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_cell
Abolish Alliteration
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I had gotten for Christmas from my wife a special edition Sonic Screwdriver- it was mute right out of the box and had swollen LR44 batteries in it. according to the equivalency charts 357's are a match. The unit never did work so we returned it to Amazon and got a replacement.
When those LR44s swelled they really did a number on the battery mount portion of the electronics unit- I had to add a small shim to get a solid contact (used copper foil).

Good luck with your Phaser- it is a wonderful replica!
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

A funny thing about today's batteries is that they seem to last longer with occasional to frequent use than they do with no use. I've got the same (or similar) phaser and seem to need new batteries every time I use it. (So few people need phasering these days.) I always take one of the old batteries with me and use the size/depth gauge at the store to get the replacements.

I also have the communicator that was sold at the time and finally scored the tricorder years later at a resale store.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Well, the thing is, like batteries, these button cells too have their own unique problems.

1. Expansion
These little buggers love to do this when you forget to take them out or stop using the device after some time.
In most cases, they tend to expand upward/downwards, exposing the cover but sometimes, sideways too.
You will know this when the new batteries feels loose as the plastic battery compartment has been warped out of shape.
(Very common with Hot Toys Iron Man) Just a smidgen of a millimeter WILL make a difference.

2. Thin films of liquid
Yeah, man, This means not only do you have to clean up the gunk but you know that the chrome coating on the metal contacts are gone.

3. Tiny specks of blue
These are the tiny hidden surprises which builds up and corrodes the wires soldered to the chrome contacts.
In most of the cases, you would need to open up the device, strip the cable a bit, tin it and then resolder.
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks