Cheap LED Strip Lighting @ Wallyworld!

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Tchail

Cheap LED Strip Lighting @ Wallyworld!

Post by Tchail »

Hello Braintrust:

FYI: I stopped in Wal-Mart the other day with my Aunt, because she wanted to set up a Roku in her guest bedroom.

Anyways I found this:

For $4.99 you get 6 1/2 feet of LED strip lighting with 60 RGB LEDs, along with a remote, and a USB connector.

I ended up going back and picking up three more - It'll be fun to experiment!

More pics:

Cheers!

-Tc
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
DaveVan

Re: Cheap LED Strip Lighting @ Wallyworld!

Post by DaveVan »

What area of the store??? Thanks
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

It was by the TVs, along with magnetic phone mounts and charging cables.

They had a cardboard display with bins for different products.
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
widget

Post by widget »

This may sound odd,but they look good around your TV or computer monitor too. A co worker does live stream gaming and has them on his game comp and monitor.
This IS my sig.
duck

Post by duck »

My question is, how do you seperate and wire them for specific use? I know to cut at specific spots so as not to destroy the lights, but each segment is set up for red, green and blue. Most led strip connectors i’ve seen are set up for single light tyoe leds.
Burn your dead.
swhite228

Post by swhite228 »

duck wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:50 pm My question is, how do you seperate and wire them for specific use? I know to cut at specific spots so as not to destroy the lights, but each segment is set up for red, green and blue. Most led strip connectors i’ve seen are set up for single light tyoe leds.
See the cut pads marked Comm +, R,G,B those are the the indivual paths for the 3 leds that make up the led chip. You simply solder your controler on to them... read this:https://www.instructables.com/id/Intro-to-LED-Strips/
battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

well I can't get much right modeling this is great 4 me I need all the help I can get :oops:
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I found that a cheap LED flashlight with 8 ultra bright LEDs in it for a $1 at the store. Yes, I have to remove them and re-solder them, a minor issue for me. But still they are dirt cheap and good for experimenting with lighting effects.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!