Two part mold clay cunudrums

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Two part mold clay cunudrums

Post by raser13 »

Hey guys and gals, got a more noobie question. I'm venturing into the world of making molds of larger parts. Full saucer sections and engineering hulls.

I've never had to make a two part mold before. All of my parts so far have had a flat under side. So no reason for one.

But on to my cunudrum. I got the alumilite molding kit that has the blue oil sinthetic clay. To say that this stuff sticks to everything is an under statement. I used it to make the bottom of my two part mold and when I went to pull all the clay off it stayed stuck to the mold. I even tried scrapping it off with a chisle style razor blade. It still left a thin residue on the mating surface.

Is there something that will take this off better? Is there a better clay to use to make the two part molds? One that doesn't have this stickyness issue? I even had to really scrub at my hands with a stuff brissle brush to get it off.

Any help would be awesome.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Kylwell

Re: Two part mold clay cunudrums

Post by Kylwell »

I just use sulfur free plasticine clay. If it's too tacky, toss it in the freezer.
Abolish Alliteration
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

As long as its not stuck to your master you should be ok. Just so long as we aren't talking about a lot stuck to your mold. Maybe carefully use isopropyl alcohol and a qtip if its bothering you. Just be careful not to break the seal between your mold and master while doing it.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Yeah, that blue clay is super sticky! What I found to get it off pretty quickly is the Model Master enamel thinner. I have the one in the black metal rectangular can.

Wet a paper towel with it and it just wipes away from the part. Then wipe the part with some alcohol to clean it all up.

Kev
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

gsb5w wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:47 pm As long as its not stuck to your master you should be ok. Just so long as we aren't talking about a lot stuck to your mold. Maybe carefully use isopropyl alcohol and a qtip if its bothering you. Just be careful not to break the seal between your mold and master while doing it.
no nothing stuck to the master, just a really thin layer covering the mold. best way to describe it is if i was using it as a mold release this would be the thin layer that i would spread on the mold, that thin.

i'll have to look for a better clay to use from now on. just frosts me that alumilite would add something so sub par in a kit with their amazing resins and molding products.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/