Model Master Acryl.... keeps getting better and better

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SGCSG1

Model Master Acryl.... keeps getting better and better

Post by SGCSG1 »

I bought a new airbrush recently (Grex pistol grip) and have been experimenting a lot with different acrylic paints.

The Mission Models is my favorite, but I do have to mail order it. For LHS paints my choices are Vallejo, Acryl, and Tamiya.

I've been testing up a storm this week and I'm kind of surprised how much better I'm finding the Acryl is to the others. It sprays right out of the jar (90% of the time), flows beautifully, covers better than the others. If you use a drop of flow retarder it's even pretty easy to clean.

My question is - if you're a Model Master Acryl person do you prefer low (15-18) or high (20-25) PSI? I'm finding higher is working a little better for me - again a surprise.

I'll keep experimenting with the Tamiya but so far I far prefer the Model Master. And the Vallejo is nice when it sprays well... which is not all the time, apparently it's VERY fussy about thinning. Very easy to go too thick (no flow) or too thin (spiders).

Any comments on Acryl, or your favorite Acrylic paint welcome.
Max Nex

Re: Model Master Acryl.... keeps getting better and better

Post by Max Nex »

it has been my favorite brand of paint since they came out with it.
that other 500 series stuff was crap!
(also quite fond of Pollyscale , too)
geck

Re: Model Master Acryl.... keeps getting better and better

Post by geck »

I love Acryl...some of the best paint I've ever airbrushed and rivals many of the other newer brands out there. The stuff is so thin and covers so well, plus it has a nice satin to eggshell finish. Reminds me of the old Pactra acrylic paints.

Color choices are also fantastic and the lighter colors especially cover very nicely. They are also the easiest acrylic paint to find.

The biggest thing with these paints I've found is that you MUST use a primer. Never had any issues with lifting off of paint when masking if I've used a primer.