Reinforcing thin resin?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

davehal9000

Reinforcing thin resin?

Post by davehal9000 »

Not a modeling issue but related... I build insignias for plaques, military subjects, and have issues with them breaking. Was originally using fiberglass resin, no glass, to save on cost. Haven't had problems with the Smooth-on resin I've tried lately.

That said, is there a preferred way to reinforce the resin, or, an affordable and easy to use resin that's durable without reinforcement? Prefer one that doesn't require exact measurements in mixing ratios, mold release, etc.
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
TazMan2000

Re: Reinforcing thin resin?

Post by TazMan2000 »

Bug screen. Metal mesh preferred. But if it's sold on a roll, it might be difficult getting the memory out of it before you dip it in resin.

TazMan2000
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

They make fiberglass chopped strands Link that are mixed in with the resin to act as a reinforcement when you can't use cloth.

I don't know how we'll they'll do if a nice surface finish is needed, I've only seem them used as a backer to the fiberglass gel coat or behind another surface.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

5 minute epoxy is good. Strong, easy and somewhat flexible.
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

Of the resins out there, preferably Smooth-on, any more durable than others? Am envisioning making refrigerator magnets and kids dropping them.

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Pretty much any mesh, even cheese cloth, will help reinforce things. You can go gonzo and use carbon fiber cloth, even wire cloth. The big trick is a thin layer of gel, let partially harden, then lay in the cloth and cover with more resin. This stops the cloth from poking through onto the surface.
Abolish Alliteration
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

Have a casting that is a year or two old that warped on me. Any way to prevent this on future projects? Is it a matter of the resin not being thick enough?

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

Penn Jillette
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Drill and pin with brass. Use epoxy in the hole to ensure you get good resin to brass/epoxy contact. Use the thickest brass rod that can reasonably fit in the hole. Be careful when you drill. The bit will want to go in the oath with the least resistance, like bubbles and the outside wall. Best to start out with the thin drill bits and then work up.

TazMan2000
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

The Smooth-On "Task" series or resins are much stronger than their regular casting resins. I'd recommend checking those spec sheets for more info.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere