Scotian Shipyards

Use at least one plate (size, shape, quantity, etc., are builder's choice) as the basis for a “Sci-Fi thing” build. <B>Deadline: 1 Sptember 2017</B>

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Looks like it's coming along nicely - always good to see Traveller getting some respect.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Dr. Yo wrote:Looks like it's coming along nicely - always good to see Traveller getting some respect.
It's always been my favourite SciFi game - mostly due to how many ways the game can be played. There're always the "bang you're dead" players, but I knew one guy who was so into accounting that the games he ran were good training for starting and running one's own business. :) It was a completely different gaming experience, for sure. :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

The Phaeton is still in limbo, but work has proceeded on the Fae Mk I and introducing the Fae Mk II

Mk I

Fae Mk I Pic 019

Fae Mk I Pic 020

Fae Mk I Pic 021

Fae Mk I Pic 022

Mk II

Fae Mk II Pic 001

Fae Mk II Pic 002

Fae Mk II Pic 003

Fae Mk II Pic 004
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Re: Scotian Shipyards

Post by Scotaidh »

As promised, more on the Fae Mk II

Pic 005

Pic 006

Pic 007

and on the Phaeton

Pic 054

Pic 055

Pic 056

Pic 057
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Still on the Fae Mk II

Pic 8

Pic 9
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

After a few days contemplating the orange additions to the Fae II, I decided I don't like them. Away with them! New direction, as seen here:

Pic 10

Pic 11

Pic 12

Pic 13

Pic 14

This is an "edit-insert" - the following pictures were posted in their own post, but ... Somehow, when that post was deleted when I posted Pics 22- 27 on Friday, 30 June. Now, all the pictures posted here have become redundant - as I explain in my next post, I've gone in yet a different direction. These pictures are posted for general interest, and in hopes that some will find them useful inspiration.

Pic 15

Pic 16

Pic 17

Pic 18

Pic 19

Pic 20

Pic 21
Last edited by Scotaidh on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

New direction, part duh. I realized that I'd kinda lost the focus of the build, but I think I'm back to facing front again. The Fae Mk I is the troop-ship, with the Fae Mk II being the gun-ship of the pair - I kinda lost sight of that. So back into the parts bin with the fans, and on with figuring out how to attach weapons to this thing.

Pic 22

Pic 23

Pic 24

Pic 25

Pic 26

Pic 27
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I'm not sure what happened. I somehow lost the post with the Fae Mk II pictures #15-21 ... Since they're of a now-abandoned direction, no problem, really - just perplexing. Moderators, if you can find that post I'd kinda like to have it up here again. :) If you can't find it, no worries, I guess, other than I somehow lost an entire post.

Anyone else have this happen?
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

The nice thing about holidays is the added modeling time, especially if the invited family members bail on their invitations, thus reducing the barbeque time to a minimum. :)

I worked on the Phaeton

Pic 59

and the Fae Mk II.

Pic 28

Pic 29
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

The Fae Mk II is moving right along - I feel that I'm close to done.

(Again, sorry for the quality of the pictures - I am a ham-handed photog at best, despite the best efforts of digital camera technology.)

Pic 30

Pic 31

Pic 32

Pic 33
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Well, it's been a good day. I have finished the two Fae builds. Now I can concentrate on the Phaeton. :)
Here are the final pictures.

Fae Mk I

Pic 23

Pic 24

Pic 25

Fae Mk II

Pic 34

Pic 35
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Whilst awaiting a package from MicroMark, I thought to work on the Phaeton's landing legs.

Pic 60

I realized that with the ventral turret in place, the Phaeton will need landing legs with which to sit upon my display shelf - so legs we must devise.
This is a first attempt. Depending on how these turn out, there may be more. :)
The spoons will be 'hinged' to the body at the handle end. The hollow spoon handles present some intriguing possibilities for tubing, greeblies, and gubbins of all sorts. :)
The otoscope cones will serve as the oleos that extend/retract the legs. The plastic tubing is a press-fit, but needed to be positively glued/located for strength - the plastic hex bases serve that need. (Though nowhere near as heavy as a resin model, the Phaeton is no light-weight.)
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

More work on the Phaeton's landing legs

Pic 61
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

More landing legs and a wee bit on the cargo doors.

Pic 62

Pic 63

Pic 64
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

More cargo-bay door-age

Pic 65

Pic 66
Dimitry
ptitrainrouge

Post by ptitrainrouge »

nice job on the legs and a turret (if I am not wrong)

the Fae are awesome
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Scotaidh wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm More landing legs and a wee bit on the cargo doors.
Pic 63
PFT Phaéton 063 I'm afraid the landing gear pattern is a bit narrow ... oh, well. I didn't really fit anywhere else. Besides, who needs landing gear when at the High Port? (For those of you unfamiliar with the 'Traveller' game, every planet has at least one High Port. These are geo-synchronous satellites which serve as reception areas for incoming cargo and persons - a quarantine area designed to keep inimical and dangerous stuff off the planet, somewhat like an international airport with no curb-side, only feeder-liners. All cargo/persons desiring to go to the planet proper are required to transfer to a local-shuttle. )
Today is one of those days where I knew the word 5 years ago but today had to Google it. #-o
And I'm thinking the ships are shaping up to look like proper movie props.
in·im·i·cal
iˈnimək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: inimical
tending to obstruct or harm.
"actions inimical to our interests"
synonyms: harmful, injurious, detrimental, deleterious, prejudicial, damaging, hurtful, destructive, ruinous, pernicious; More
antagonistic, contrary, antipathetic, unfavorable, adverse, opposed;
hostile, unkind, unsympathetic, unfriendly, ill-disposed, malevolent;
unwelcoming, cold, frosty;
unfriendly; hostile.
"an inimical alien power"
synonyms: harmful, injurious, detrimental, deleterious, prejudicial, damaging, hurtful, destructive, ruinous, pernicious; More
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Thank-you, ptitrainrouge. I'm just having fun with it. :) Yes, that's a turret. It was for another build, originally, but it fit well here, so ... parts is parts, n'est pas?

southwestforests, in my mind the word "Inimical" is kinda defined as "something bad, a thing we do not want."

:D
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

As the deadline rushes down upon me, I'm upping my build tempo a bit. :)

Pic 67

Pic 68

Pic 69

Pic 70

Pic 71

Pic 72
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Two steps forward, three steps back ... ](*,)

Pic 73

Pic 74

Pic 75
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I was really hoping to have something to show for this weekend. However, there are other things happening.

My dear friend SiaoMouse is back in the hospital for the fourth time with a recurrent brain tumour that affects his optic nerve, among other things. His girlfriend, Nikita - also a dear friend - is out of her mind with worry and loneliness, and I don't know what to say to her anymore. She is very down and feels very alone.

Then my lady wife decided this was The Weekend to strip out the basement carpet and ceiling tiles, repaint the faux pine paneling, and have that yard sale she's been on about for three years now. That was yesterday. As part of that, my P-76 Double Lightning was a casualty of a falling ceiling tile. The damage is not repairable, as many of the snapped-off undercarriage parts have vanished. I'm working on changing it to an "in-flight" model. <sigh> I know, I know - compared to SiaoMouse & Niki's situation, a broken model is very small potatoes, but please understand - the work on that small potato spanned 8 years; a lot to just dismiss as "a broken toy."

Today it has been raining - drizzling, really, off and on all day, so no yard sale - everything is under tarps, in hopes of the promised (Hah!) better weather tomorrow. Inside it was more of the painting - touching up the walls, and then sealing the concrete floor, preparatory to putting in some kind of faux-wood flooring over the puce-coloured sealant. I did get some putty laid on today, so not all was lost, but I'm not posting pics of putty. :)

I'm hoping that tomorrow will fulfill the promise of this weekend. Prolly more sanding to get the putty down to grade, so to speak.
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

And yes - more putty application and (of course) sanding,

Pic 76

Pic 77

Pic 78

Pic 79

Pic 80
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Dimitry
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Scotaidh wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:05 pmMy dear friend SiaoMouse is back in the hospital for the fourth time with a recurrent brain tumour that affects his optic nerve, among other things. His girlfriend, Nikita - also a dear friend - is out of her mind with worry and loneliness, and I don't know what to say to her anymore. She is very down and feels very alone.
:( Oh dear. Here's wishing them endurance and healing.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Last weekend I got no work done due to attending a wedding in Newfield, NY just outside Ithaca. We stayed at a great B&B - Enfield Manor - less than a mile from the venue, the Treman Centre - an old barn converted to a party venue with a honeymoon/wedding night suite in the former hay loft. I must say, the conversion job was well done without being either overly slick or "aw-shucks country". But! The 8 hour drive home left me exhausted on Sunday night, with barely the energy to shower before crawling into bed so's to be up at 0430 for my job. :/

However, I did get some things done after work this week, and I have those pictures. :)

Pic 87

Pic 88

Pic 89

Pic 90

Pic 91
Dimitry
ptitrainrouge

Post by ptitrainrouge »

it is a nice job,
I am waiting for painting :D
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I've been at a loss as to a "good" paint scheme. Grays have been done and done to death; yet I want something not-gaudy, something business-like, because Traveler is all about the business of running one's own starship (at least, the way I play it). So one wants a memorable paint combo, one that is respectable and not teeth-grittingly terrible. Keeping in mind, too, that the worlds of Traveler are, if not actually infested with pirates and privateers and opportunists of all stripes, at the least they are not as rare as an honest Trader would like.
So. No glaring colours, nothing reflective. However, a bit of prideful display is wanted, else one's potential customers might think one not capable of defending their entrusted cargoes.

So, this.
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

After long hiatus, I have more work to display. I'm determined to finish the seemingly endless project - if only to clear my work bench for other projects I have in mind. :)

These pics are just to show my paint scheme.

One

Two
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Now that the main painting is complete, smaller, detail pieces - like the main battery - can be emplaced. (The turrets, though capable in their own right, are only 2cm powerguns (idea shamelessly stolen from Mr. Drake's Hammer's Slammers.)

The main battery tubes are fixed, forward firing multi-munition tubes of 9" diameter.

One

Two

Three

Yes, I suck at painting. :(
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

More work.

one

two