conductive paint?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

conductive paint?

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

Has anyone used a conductive paint for super narrow spaces for lighting? I am wondering if it would be easier to paint a trail of conductive paint through a tight space such as between two wings in order to light something.

Here is a model railroading-related essay on this topic:
http://www.sumidacrossing.org/LayoutEle ... essWiring/

If you've done this, I'm interested in learning more about your experience. Thanks.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
wowyz

Re: conductive paint?

Post by wowyz »

I have used Busch(German MRR) on a fighter plane.

Mixed results. Only tried it once.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

I'm not entirely sure how to connect a wire to the paint when necessary. Just glue the wire down and paint onto it?
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I have tried several and while it is a nice concept it has too many negatives- mostly a fairly high resistance. Using either bell wire or copper foil will work much better IMO...
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Thanks!
Greg
modelbldr_207582

Post by modelbldr_207582 »

I have heard that using Magnet Wire and SMD would be a option where you might want to consider for you lighting process of these tight places. I have seen where using Aluminum Foil to light the areas of which you're speaking of to reflect the light to the desired area - Keep in mind, these options i have not practiced myself but am looking at on a 1/1000 scale of which I'm doing right now.
mophius

Post by mophius »

Back in my teens my dad had an old car with a faulty heated rear screen. Some of the wire on the screen had either corroded away or been scraped off.
He went to Maplin Electronics (UK) and purchased a bottle of conductive metallic paint and had a small stencil which come with it. Painted it on the inside of the rear window and it took the current from that circuit no problem.

I wonder if you can still buy this stuff.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

mophius wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:36 pm Back in my teens my dad had an old car with a faulty heated rear screen. Some of the wire on the screen had either corroded away or been scraped off.
He went to Maplin Electronics (UK) and purchased a bottle of conductive metallic paint and had a small stencil which come with it. Painted it on the inside of the rear window and it took the current from that circuit no problem.

I wonder if you can still buy this stuff.
I had a defroster grid repair kit but it had adhesive backed foil strips instead

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
widget

Post by widget »

How do you connect the leads of the led to the foil? Conductive glue? What kind is best? Or a drop of solder and pray that you don't burn through the foil?
This IS my sig.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

widget wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm How do you connect the leads of the led to the foil? Conductive glue? What kind is best? Or a drop of solder and pray that you don't burn through the foil?
I just went low tech and wrapped the foil around the LED leads then used some heat shrink tubing to insulate.

Deviant Art Gallery-
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

I have successfully used the Busch paint - initailly I bought it to repair a damage in my car's rear window heat grill, and it worked like a charm! I have later also used it for LED connections in one or two mecha models, and the stuff worked well, too.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu