Forum Moderation

Just what it implies.
Dobber

Re: Forum Moderation

Post by Dobber »

Yoo-hoo Mods, the spammers are back.....again.

Chris
"What the hell is an alluminum falcon?!"

".....if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I will end you." - Malcom Reynolds
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Maybe I'm imagining things which aren't likely, but how long until they go from spam to data theft?
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

southwestforests wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:44 pm Maybe I'm imagining things which aren't likely, but how long until they go from spam to data theft?
I think the only danger is if you actually click on one of the spammers links
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Merlin Jones

Post by Merlin Jones »

The only way to stop such active spamming is correspondingly active Moderation.
Until that happens, the Forum is going down the toilet.

There'll be no shortage of volunteers to manage these nobs, so what's the issue?
It's my madness that keeps me sane.
The Modelling Man Cave
Tracy White

Post by Tracy White »

southwestforests wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:44 pmMaybe I'm imagining things which aren't likely, but how long until they go from spam to data theft?
All of these posts are bot driven - pure program with no human interaction. Data theft these days is generally the same unless you are a high-value target (or work for one) in which case it warrants spear phishing. Otherwise they try and get infected banner ads into the advertising networks so the servers that are displaying the ads will have infected pages that inject infections into computers when users read through. The spam outbreak here is annoying, but not likely to cause anything more than an awkward moment if you happen to open a link when a spouse, child, or co-worker is present.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
chiangkaishecky

Post by chiangkaishecky »

Merlin Jones wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pmThe only way to stop such active spamming is correspondingly active Moderation.
It might help if members don't click on threads that are obviously spam nor the links within
Latest offender already has views on those threads
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17885
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Contemptibly poor is the characterization I would apply to the whole situation.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

chiangkaishecky wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 am
Merlin Jones wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pmThe only way to stop such active spamming is correspondingly active Moderation.
It might help if members don't click on threads that are obviously spam nor the links within
That is all well and good, but the SpamBot keeps posting on threads I have been following for weeks- the real trick is to figure out which name it has created for the latest barrage and avoid any new postings using that name.

Unfortunately the only way to find out whether it is the SpamBot or a new member is to open up the thread. Having a bunch of Russian Brides in Bikinis is not a great thing here at work...

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

chiangkaishecky wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 am It might help if members don't click on threads that are obviously spam nor the links within
This post is more useful than endless complaining about the spammers or moderation. I've added the user to the Foe list / kill file, and I'm not seeing their posts. Takes all of two seconds to do.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Problem is you block one name, the Mods nuke the posts and the Bot creates a new account and the cycle starts over/ This one Bot I think has used at least five names so far.
Once the current posts are nuked and the membership deleted, any kill-view is obsolete and there is a new name to start watching for.

Until this current situations is dealt with I am only clicking on new posts made by friends I have known on SSM for years

Deviant Art Gallery-
Liberator

Post by Liberator »

I open up the quick link to new posts and then I've clicked on the last posters name link to see if.

1. they have only just signed up
2. have made 5-10 posts as soon as they have signed up.

Helps me from the embarrassment of reading a post at work I've been interested in and following only to find some T&A posted

Not fool proof but helps.
There are fans, and then there are fanatics.
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

We're working on finding a solution to the problem, and we have been for some time.

The things we have tried so far have only worked for a short time. Spammers have broken the CAPTCHA authentication. All it takes is one human to register and then the "answer this question" authentication is broken. We can change the question daily but even that may end up being ineffective. We have been IP-banning, without much success.

Meanwhile, we have gone back to admin approval of all new accounts before they can post. It's a major PITA for admins, and it won't stop the spammers, but hopefully it will slow them way down.

The fact that this is a popular forum with thousands of active members means we are a perpetual target. That's the reality.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
Tracy White

Post by Tracy White »

onezero wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:44 pmIt's a major PITA for admins

*snip*

The fact that this is a popular forum with thousands of active members means we are a perpetual target. That's the reality.
I realize that there may be few people on the forum that you truly know and trust, but as systems get more used there's an increasing need for control and resources to perform that maintenance. At some point you're going to need more moderators if the number of users grows. That's the reality.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

I would much ratherhave a preventive strategy in place than a continually-cleaning-up-the-mess strategy.

Obviously what we've tried so far doesn't work, but nonetheless we persevere.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Your efforts are deeply appreciated!

Just wondering- this sort of problem was very rare on the original site software- have the SpamBots upped their game or could it be an vulnerability in the new site setup?

Deviant Art Gallery-
onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

The old site had problems with activating users .... it was more luck than anything else that kept the spam volume low.

I *think* I may have solved the spambot issue - at least for now.

I've made a new forum called "Newly Registered Users". Only Admins, Mods and Newly Registered Users should be able to see it, and only those groups should be able to post in it. Newly Registered Users can't post anywhere else - in fact, that and the forum rules are all they can see once their account is activated. All posts must be approved by a mod/admin. Once a post is approved, I will move the user out of the newly registered user group and into the regular user group. Hopefully, that will contain all the spammers to one place..... if I set it up right.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Interesting approach- I like it!

Deviant Art Gallery-
Merlin Jones

Post by Merlin Jones »

Sounds like a plan! :8)
The Modelling Man Cave
Tracy White

Post by Tracy White »

Just in case it isn't apparent since my last post may have come across as a bit cranky and critical - your efforts here are greatly appreciated. It's a good reason why I've ordered through the store several times.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

I was just as frustrated as you people were, believe me. I worry that making it harder to join will drive people away .... but on the other hand I'd like to convene a grand jury and indict Russia for all the damn spammers.

So, it's a balancing act, I guess.

Thanks for sticking with us while we sorted the issue out.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

Lest you think I'm unfairly targeting Russia, IP's and eMail addresses indicate I'm not.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Only Russians would think it unfair if you did indeed target them.
Bruce in Houston
cattle wrote:It costs too much. Whatever it is. Oh, by the way, where's my Cost-of-Welfare increase?
Wug

Post by Wug »

onezero,

So far so good.

Thanks

Mike
CLBrown

Post by CLBrown »

There's a tool called "shadow banning" which some sites use. It's rife with potential for moderator abuse, of course... but I doubt that'd be a problem here.

When someone is "shadow-banned," they see everything as normal. They can post as much as they like, and are never challenged.

However, to everyone else, their posts are hidden. Moderators can see the posts, if they choose, as well.

The only indication to the poster is that nobody ever responds, or follows their links.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

"Shadow Banning" might be useful in a couple of instances, but the Spammers are pretty obvious as to what they are doing from the get go- no real need to petri dish posts.
Thus far what mechanisms in place seem to be working- it has been a while since something slipped past the shields

Deviant Art Gallery-
jackshield

Post by jackshield »

I tried to go to "thunderdome" but wasnt allowed.
text states "go to "usergroups" above" but i dont see anything titled "user groups"
onezero
Site Admin

Post by onezero »

It's now in "User Control Panel" on the "Usergroups" tab. Click on your login name at the top right for the "User Control Panel" dropdown choice.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

battlestar62

Post by battlestar62 »

Wow you were great considering what I was doing I am sorry and I thank you for you trying to understand what was going on. One last thing if John was ok with me.
Seyms67

Post by Seyms67 »

Nasty Russian spammers are back.
Merlin Jones

Post by Merlin Jones »

onezero wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:53 pm I was just as frustrated as you people were, believe me. I worry that making it harder to join will drive people away .... but on the other hand I'd like to convene a grand jury and indict Russia for all the damn spammers.

So, it's a balancing act, I guess.

Thanks for sticking with us while we sorted the issue out.
I'm not so sure about a balancing act...if someone REALLY wants to join the Forum, then they'll jump through whatever hoops you put in place for them. Today, such filters are a part and parcel of modern internet living and, if someone objects to such things, then I'd happily argue that this Forum isn't for them anyways.
The Modelling Man Cave