Past Gold Winners' photos...

Everyone's favorite modeling geekfest, 2017 edition. June 3-4, 2017 in Louisville, KY. http://www.wonderfest.com/

Moderator: Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Past Gold Winners' photos...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Wise and Sagely Starship Modelers,

So I took my first gold back in 2015 and had the requisite photograph. However, no one (Mr. Staton, John Davis, our own Mr. Ludden) can tell me what was done with these images. However when I talked to them in person at WF 2016, they was able to refer me to the photographer BUT my emails to him went unanswered. I've been pestering people on and off since 2015.

Do any of you veteran gold winners know what happens to the images of gold winners? I'd love to have one of my entry actually made by a pro.

I appreciate it.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm still trying to get them to straighten out an error in last year's awards. I won a Silver for my 1:2500 Phobos Class Cruiser. It was the right photo on the screen but they got both the name of the model and the name of the builder wrong!
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

RossW

Post by RossW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Lonewolf - do you still have the yellow form for the entry? What should the slide at the ceremony (and the website) have said for:

Modeller's Name=?

Model=?

Arronax
Location: Orlando FL (originally from England but I expect my accent gave me away, didn't it)

Post by Arronax » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:10 am

I think we've all had Dave Hodge screw up a model or builder's name. I've taken to pre-printing 3 copies of labels for each model that includes the model's name and description. It makes it easier for the judges (I think).

Note to the WF team: It would be really nice to be able to pre-print entry forms before coming to WF.
Jim

---------------------
Metaphors be with you . . . always

RossW

Post by RossW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 am

Arronax wrote:I think we've all had Dave Hodge screw up a model or builder's name. I've taken to pre-printing 3 copies of labels for each model that includes the model's name and description. It makes it easier for the judges (I think).

Note to the WF team: It would be really nice to be able to pre-print entry forms before coming to WF.
Hey Jim!

In this case, I think the info in the WF contest app database might be incorrect, so I can't blame Dave. I'll need to see the yellow form and confirm some details and then I can forward this on.

BTW, the problem with pre-printing forms is that they would not have the Entry Form # which MUST be unique. However, I am working on implementing an online entry system for 2018.

Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am

Yes, I still have the slip. I always keep them.

I can see messing up the name of the kit: "Phobos" for "Phubus" (and my handwriting ain't the greatest). But it's kind difficult to look at a form that says "Rich Dula" and get that named confused with "Kenneth Darden". I know, he and I always attend WF together, and some folks have thought we might actually be brothers, but . . .

After the ceremony last year, I mentioned the error to Neb. I've also sent emails regarding the corrections ever since the list of contest winners went up last year. So far, it remains uncorrected.

Not that it really matters. The award is in my Studio, displayed next to the model.
Surrounded by unbuilt models. What the heck do I work on next??

RossW

Post by RossW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Lonewolf wrote:Yes, I still have the slip. I always keep them.

I can see messing up the name of the kit: "Phobos" for "Phubus" (and my handwriting ain't the greatest). But it's kind difficult to look at a form that says "Rich Dula" and get that named confused with "Kenneth Darden". I know, he and I always attend WF together, and some folks have thought we might actually be brothers, but . . .

After the ceremony last year, I mentioned the error to Neb. I've also sent emails regarding the corrections ever since the list of contest winners went up last year. So far, it remains uncorrected.

Not that it really matters. The award is in my Studio, displayed next to the model.
I can tell you how the error **could** have happened, since I create the app the crew uses for the contest. When using the Quick Entry form, I coded it so the last user's name persisted for the next entry knowing that a lot of people bring more than one model and those entries end up being stacked together; the idea was to reduce data entry by persisting info from one entry to another that **might** be the same. The problem is you need to go and type over the modeller's name when it changes and I'm guessing the person before you was Kenneth. Your forms were likely stacked together because you went down to the contest room at the same time.

Not sure who 'Neb' is but if you send me a scan of your yellow form I can get it corrected.

WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 pm

I'd imagine that if your entries came in next to each other it was an entry error for the names - given the amount of entries and the time crunch I'm surprised it does not happen more often.

Dave just reads what we hand him, and Ross and the data entry team have been getting better at it every year, to the point where we actually were able to do an attempt at spell checking and correcting some of the crazy interpretations of model names etc. Believe me we all would love on line entering so you all can TYPE what your model is instead of writing it, so it's not us that gets your SturmpanZerrobot Mk VbI Silpknott title wrong LOL. Arronax' idea of a printed sheet with your model is always a nice idea if we need to see about correcting a spelling or other issue, if we have the time and forethought to look for it of course. But if the entry sheet is done neatly and in block letters or something else easily readable it makes the data entry much easier. They have hundreds of slips to work with and if they can't read everything on a description clearly, they do their best and move on.

The one person that would have more info if any on what we are going to do with the winner photos would be Lee since he runs the website and most things of a graphical nature at the show.

PS Ross is like a genius, and it's taken him a while to even get us to the point where we can try to implement any kind of pre show entry form work.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com

robiwon

Post by robiwon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:52 pm

I haven't won a gold. :(

Only a silver two years ago. :(

Nobody took my picture. :(

:D
"Dead or alive, your'e coming with me"

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 pm

I will try to get this back on topic. :)
Kenny wrote:So I took my first gold back in 2015 and had the requisite photograph. However, no one (Mr. Staton, John Davis, our own Mr. Ludden) can tell me what was done with these images. However when I talked to them in person at WF 2016, they was able to refer me to the photographer BUT my emails to him went unanswered. I've been pestering people on and off since 2015.

Do any of you veteran gold winners know what happens to the images of gold winners? I'd love to have one of my entry actually made by a pro.
WedgeCharlotte wrote:
The one person that would have more info if any on what we are going to do with the winner photos would be Lee since he runs the website and most things of a graphical nature at the show.
I talked to Mr. Staton, Brian, back in 2016. He didn't know but referred me to the photographer - as did you and Mr. Davis. That was a huge lead, BUT the photographer doesn't respond to email - at least the email link on his site.

Any other thoughts?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Gouf

Post by Gouf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Here are my pics from the 2015 show:

http://kitbash.net/wf2015/index001.html
-Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead!

My finished kits can be seen here: http://kitbash.net

Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Gouf wrote:Here are my pics from the 2015 show:

http://kitbash.net/wf2015/index001.html
Thanks for posting those. That's where I actually grabbed some of my favorite images of my entries.

Now if I could just get my mitts on the images snapped by the pro...

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com