Design Morphing - does it happen to anyone else?

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Scotaidh

Design Morphing - does it happen to anyone else?

Post by Scotaidh »

I've noticed something about my scratch builds. I always start with a design concept, and usually even generate a three-view drawing of it. However, once I start building, the design ... changes.

These are never "sit-down-and-do-it-all-in-one-go" builds. They usually take months. Even when I have, say, an eight-hour stretch available, I'm constrained by drying time, for glue, putty, and paint.

My designs aren't the step-by-step process of a kit build. There's no carefully thought-out-and-tested build sequence. So things happen - glue something down solidly, only to discover I really should have put this other thing in there first - that kind of "thing". So then I do something to cover the mistake - and that can change the look away from what was planned.

Another thing that happens is that as I'm digging through my parts bins looking for that perfect part, I find other parts that persuade me that they 'belong' in the build. Or I might use something - a CD jewel case, for example - that works well, but doesn't lend itself to being trimmed or resized; and that changes the design yet again.

Also, day-to-day my ideas will change, based on who-knows-what - an idea or event at work; "new" parts coming to light; someone saying "what if you did this?" Sometimes it's because I have forgotten that I meant to do thus-and-so, or I find I out I simply can't do thus-and-so (can't find a part, or can't figure out how to physically do it.

So, for all these reasons (and probably more I can't think of right now), my "design" changes - the model seems to build itself, in a way.

Does this happen to anyone else? I look at your gorgeous builds in the Readers Gallery, and think "I wish mine would turn out to plan, like these guys' did." I'm guessing, though, that by this time, for better or worse, my build methodology has standardized into a "Marmite-fueled, Chinese music (Thanks, SiaoMouse! :)) in-the-background, free-form, stream-of-conciousness flow" ... :roll:
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Somewhat. I almost never preplan to the point of drawing a three-view. What usually happens is that I'll come up with some idea, and then start fiddling with nacelle, fuselage, or whatever bits. At the point that I'm sure it's a good idea, there's a sort of "design freeze" and I won't fiddle with the basic idea much (if at all) after that point; my energy is focussed on the mechanics of making the idea work. That is, I concentrate on how to build it: Where's the wiring going to be routed, how is the stand going to hold it, what internal bracing do I need to mate A to B? --rather than sweeping design changes.

That said, I do try to keep open to happy inspirations (the giant bug attacking the Imperial Aeronef Haifeng was a late addition); and sometimes after the model is complete I'll look at it and decide it needs something. The clown standing by my Calliope HydroAtomique was added after the model was complete--my wife felt it lacked something, and after thinking it over, I agreed.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Known as "design creep" it happens to everybody to some extent. The "Oh! I can do X" or "What if I..." is near universal.
Abolish Alliteration
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

Same thing happens with me. Even when I paint on canvas things shift, I consider it part of the creative process.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

All of my sculpts are entirely negotiable from moment to moment. I actually don't begin with any fixed notion, but rather allow the pieces to tell me what they want to do. That way, I maintain some element of the unexpected in every character. There are some cases where a sculpt sits on the desk for months, and then a friend will give me a box of parts, at which point suddenly there is the piece that just helps the whole thing click to the next phase.
ptitrainrouge

Post by ptitrainrouge »

this looks like an artistic venture.
When I see the amazing results , I think it is indeed art.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Re: Design Morphing - does it happen to anyone else?

Post by raser13 »

Scotaidh wrote:Another thing that happens is that as I'm digging through my parts bins looking for that perfect part, I find other parts that persuade me that they 'belong' in the build. Or I might use something - a CD jewel case, for example - that works well, but doesn't lend itself to being trimmed or resized; and that changes the design yet again.
This is what I call letting the parts talk to me. I know sounds just this side of wack job. But basically I'll rummage through the bins and I'll find 3-4 parts that will work then I start seeing each piece on the model. Then it always seem this one will start going" you know, if you put a panel if styrene shaped like this under me. And this other part you saw while rummaging with me like so. I could be epic on here!"

That's how most of my building goes. But I will start off with the basic lines of the ship as a jumping off point. But that might change as well. Mostly as I figure out that those lines that I planned in my head. Dont transfer well into the real world. Mostly my skill limitations. Or plastic just doesn't bend that way. Lol

I guarantee no true artist has ever stayed 100% true to his/her original vision. Our minds constantly imagine "what if's". If we didn't, makers wouldn't be nacelles, toy car hubcaps wouldn't become deflector dishes, or that great airlock hatch, or gun turret, is shield. See what I mean. Hard to stick to the plan when the possibilities are literally endless.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

A lot of times I will start with an initial concept and then as I'm building it something really neat I could do pops into my head and I think is this possible, what extra work would it take, how much does this push back my completion date?
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

I believe that all designers compromise to some degree... If you'll look at some of the sketches and blueprints made for building models from, during the filming of "Star Wars" and then, look at what Grant, Steve, and Lorne actually built, at ILM for the finished film? There are many measured differences...yet the initial concept remains. Only some details changed. Yes, these left a lasting impact, but. It was still "within the scope" of the original concept. I believe that all designs go through an evolutionary process, for a variety of reasons. Requirements change... and then there is the availability of various components...or their lack. I don't think that anyone ever designed a machine... and had the design remain unchanged, from first concept, to finished prototype.
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

I see it as more of a case of "When does it not happen?" I've never started a scratch and had it come out exactly as I conceived it to start with. Not to say I am not happy with the results.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
abledog

Post by abledog »

I started a couple of scratch builds years ago, but I never really had a locked down concept. That was my first lesson... design the darned thing first! I'm now working on a project where I did get the basic major shapes I wanted, that define the overall ship.

This has helped tremendously, however there are still things I find myself... adjusting, adding etc. I work in entertainment as a designer, so I can say with confidence that what I think you're going through is just part of the process. You can't help but continue to design, especially on something that is yours.

If you were reproducing something from a movie, or TV show, you'd be locked to specifics. The same applies to professional model builders on a project. The design gets locked down & then the model builders fabricate it and do their thing. I think even then that there's a bit of creative wiggle room on some things.

No two ways about it... Bro... you're a designer!

It's a dangerous job, but you're up to it. :)
Able D.

http://www.clarkworx.com

Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.
abledog

Re:

Post by abledog »

Kylwell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 pm Known as "design creep" it happens to everybody to some extent. The "Oh! I can do X" or "What if I..." is near universal.
I think you nailed it!
Able D.

http://www.clarkworx.com

Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.
naoto

Re:

Post by naoto »

Kylwell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 pm Known as "design creep" it happens to everybody to some extent. The "Oh! I can do X" or "What if I..." is near universal.
speaking of which... how a concept at Apple for a low-cost computer (with price target of around $500) evolved into the Macintosh (which sold for around $2500 at its introduction). Though in the end, it turned out to be a good thing, as it helped develop a very different market for computers, as well as allowed Apple salvage a certain amount of work that went into the Lisa (you can probably measure level of success of the Lisa by finding out the percentage of people who remember it). Had it continued with the original concept, it probably would've followed a fate similar to the TRS-80 MC-10.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TAC

Post by TAC »

To design something, one must come up with ideas.

Ideas can only come to our awareness if we vacate centre stage of our thoughts. Otherwise we become too pre-occupied with self.
Usual pre-occupations include the fears of failure, change, the new, and the unknown/unexpected. These block ideas.

To unblock, it is best to face our fears and do it anyway. Embrace change, and the new. Accept whatever happens.
This acceptance is the key to letting go, gaining confidence, trust, and gratitude (of the ideas).
These attitudes create a vacancy on the centre stage of our thoughts. What arises to take up the vacancy are ideas and truths.

The more one is grateful for their ideas, the more ideas they get. Design morphing becomes inevitable.

Without design morphing, creativity becomes stagnant, blocked, and pre-occupation of self takes over again.
TAC = Take A Chance.
hossfly72

Post by hossfly72 »

You approach model building with a very Zen type outlook. I like it!
I've had several designs running through my head for about a month and I've been letting them morph a bit before I start gluing and cutting. I picked up the TOS Cadet series yesterday (Romulan, D-7, Old Enterprise) so that I can start modding when the flash hits me and I can't stop thinking about it. I can tell it's getting close though. I have to grab some small styrene tubes and sheets today, just to make sure I'm ready when it happens.
So far, I've finalized a few parts. Split impulse deck on either side of an aft-deck shuttle bay.
Lowered and spread pylons with Bill Krause's nacelle design. The secondary hull is throwing me though.
In my head, it keeps popping up looking like his Sentinel design. It's to be expected though, his designs are absolutely beautiful.
John Payne's are the same way for me. Being able to successfully merge those two aesthetics would be the epitomy of design happiness for me.
TAC

Post by TAC »

@hossfly72, If you already know what you want, only doubt will stop you from creating it.
I am sure you will attain whatever you want from a model.
TAC = Take A Chance.