Scribing compass

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

holt35

Scribing compass

Post by holt35 »

Hey guys the Round 2 Excelsior is about to come out and they missed a few panel lines on the edge of the saucer that I want to put on, can I use any compass with a scribing tool on it or is there one that I can buy just for models.

Thanks
SpaceRanger1

Re: Scribing compass

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

holt35 wrote:Hey guys the Round 2 Excelsior is about to come out and they missed a few panel lines on the edge of the saucer that I want to put on, can I use any compass with a scribing tool on it or is there one that I can buy just for models.

Thanks
Any good draftsman's dividers can be used to scribe circles. I use one with a center adjusting wheel, as it's less likely to stray from its setting:

http://www.draftingsteals.com/20011.html

An Olfa compass cutter can also be used as a scriber if rotated backwards:

http://www.olfa.com/compass-circle-cutt ... /9911.html

Both are handy items to have in your toolkit.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Valdore

Post by Valdore »

http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0230.php

I usually use one of those circle cutters. Can't for the life of me remember how big the saucer of the Excelsior is. But you can get a circle cutter thats able to do a larger circle. The main problem I can see though is putting a divot in the bridge for an anchor point.

They're usually found in an arts supply store. Or, i think you can get them from Micro mark, or even Evilbay. .

Never mind. Didn't check the post above me. Lol
naoto

Post by naoto »

The least expensive circle cutters I've found was over at Daiso* (a chain of 100-yen shops in Japan) -- got one for US$1.50 (most items they sell are at that price). Have mostly been using it to cut parts for model rockets (e.g. centering rings). One issue that some folks might find with it would be that the scale is in metric only.

* For stateside folks, Daiso is like a Dollar Tree, but not so shabby-looking or run-down.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

naoto wrote:The least expensive circle cutters I've found was over at Daiso* (a chain of 100-yen shops in Japan) -- got one for US$1.50 (most items they sell are at that price). Have mostly been using it to cut parts for model rockets (e.g. centering rings). One issue that some folks might find with it would be that the scale is in metric only.

* For stateside folks, Daiso is like a Dollar Tree, but not so shabby-looking or run-down.
They just opened a Daiso store here in Fremont, CA.
Cleaner than a Dollar Tree for sure.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Regarding scribing lines in the rim of the Excelsior saucer, the main issue will be keeping the scribing tip perpendicular to the angle of the rim. As far as the other end, the anchor point, you can drill a small hole into the bridge dome to insert the point into and just fill it with putty and sand smooth when you're done.

Actually I'm not sure you even need to scribe lines if the kit includes stripes for the rim. If not, you can get them from an aftermarket decal maker like JT Graphics or look for them on Federation Models.

That's what I used on my Excelsior after I filled in the awful molded stair stepping:

https://flic.kr/p/qW1Mfj
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
holt35

Post by holt35 »

Thanks for all the reply's. I had looked at a few of the ones you guys suggested but I'm thinking about getting this one unless any of you see a problem with using it.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastcap-ACCUSCRI ... efRID=NGF0

The lines that have to be scribed are at the vary edge of the saucer right before it sloops down but I think this one is wide enough I told Round 2 they where missing and about the phasers being in the wrong spots but I guess they finally decided the model was good enough. As for drilling a hole for the point to stay in the new Excelsior kit already has a hole right in the middle for the bridge to plug into since the new kit has an option for the NX or NCC version of the ship.
Valdore

Post by Valdore »

Wow. That thing looks like it should be on a Star trek style drydock or something. Makes my little yellow circle cutter look kinda lame.

Never thought I'd suffer from cutter envy. Lol